Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bought an outdoor metal 'Montero' logburner/firepit (told the OH it was like a chiminea so she was happy) for the chilly evenings in late summer - and can be moved inside if the SHTF as it is not too heavy and we have adequate ventilation!

It is basically 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft metal mesh with solid top and floor, on legs with an opening door - same as the old oildrum burner but looks better and gives out loads of heat and even has a top plate which could be used to cook too - now I am getting happier as my preps are moving on!

Also getting loads of wood from a mate who is a landscaper who has just cleared a plot of trees for a client - he's happy cos he doesn't have to pay for disposal and I am happy cos got some nice wood coming!

Link is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230962319569?s...1497.l2649

Also my eldest boy (11) has just come back from a week of bushcraft camp with his school and he loved it! Bivvying out, taught and practiced snares (then disassembled once done - gotta be legal!), whittling, firelighting etc etc

He is a chip off the old block, he is a prepper at heart too! Just a pity I only see him one weekend in two....still fun when we get together!

So got him to try archery today too and he loved that so one more of us, he can now make sure he is sorted and his brother an mum too...
Well done that man! - and well done that lad!! (My youngest granddaughter's ten and we're going to our local archery club together for the first time next week.) Smile

I really like the bushcraft camp idea but I don't think she'd be persuaded quite that far! Big Grin
Cheers GG! Enjoy the archery next week - I joined a club a few months back and love it as does my eldest too! Smile
cleared out some more space under the stairs for storage

still loads more space to make in there when we need it again
My sunglasses fell to bits and could I find that blasted little screw! I'm going to add a few of those glasses repair kits you can buy in the pound shops to my working toolkit. I'm just wondering how those folks who need to wear specs will deal with possibly having to upgrade their prescriptions.
having a raid out of the loft this week,

plus trying my hand at making fresh pasta, and attempting to establish a pocket of wild garlic in my back yard.

oh also harvested a little wild garlic and attempting to flavour some olive oil with it.
Bought my first lot of precious metals from Atkinsons Jewelers. Won't say how much though for OPSEC
Just got back from makeover got the use type of things bleach, tinned stuff, 25 k sugar, 10 k of salt. As a added bonus the found 13 bra's in the clearance section for £1.50 each. These will be packed away in suitcases.
bought loads of veg seeds, painted the prep sheds, made a fire pit in the garden with cooking grill, bought more batteries, lights, health and hygiene stuff and finally got a ghb put together. something I've been meaning to do for some time now. getting there!
Been practising my archery again, I dont think theres much chance of me every getting any awards for archery shooting any time soon, It only took me two years to get my Crossed Rifles way back when, but archery is far less forgiving and needs constant practice just to be moderately competant. And its one thing just standing in front of a target 30 yards away all nice cool, calm and colectted and plinking arrows into a paper target compared to walking, trotting, climbing, stumbling etc around the woods with an empty belly trying to catch Peter Rabbit with a bow for dinner. Trial and effort is teaching me i will not be able to solely rely upon a bow and will need to also keep the air rifle fully operational for bagging smaller edible critters.