Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Royal Doulton / British Berkfield do exactly the same thing over here, but no import taxes to pay!

http://www.avonsoft.com/pages/gravity_filters.htm

(28 August 2013, 14:07)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]If you are buying radios get the UV5R. All the techie experts on here have one and they will be able to help a lot better. I have the UV3R MkII and the UV5R Mk1. Make sure you get the right model for the type or some of the bits won't fit.

Thanks for the heads up, aside from battery life, interchangeability is the predominately important functions, as aside from the receivers we all have in our cars, you actually need more than oe person to operate a two-way transceiver !
(28 August 2013, 15:32)MikeA Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Royal Doulton / British Berkfield do exactly the same thing over here, but no import taxes to pay!

http://www.avonsoft.com/pages/gravity_filters.htm

(28 August 2013, 14:07)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]If you are buying radios get the UV5R. All the techie experts on here have one and they will be able to help a lot better. I have the UV3R MkII and the UV5R Mk1. Make sure you get the right model for the type or some of the bits won't fit.

Thanks for the heads up, aside from battery life, interchangeability is the predominately important functions, as aside from the receivers we all have in our cars, you actually need more than oe person to operate a two-way transceiver !

You only need one person to operate a transceiver. You need two to converse Wink

I'll bring the UV-5R to the September meet so you can have a gander if you want to see it in person before you buy.
Just looked at the uv5r transceiver....looks like a good bit of kit and i can't believe how cheap they are, last time i looked at a cheap transceiver it was well over a hundred quid.
(28 August 2013, 16:14)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]Just looked at the uv5r transceiver....looks like a good bit of kit and i can't believe how cheap they are, last time i looked at a cheap transceiver it was well over a hundred quid.

Very good investment there. Handy if you're hiking in the moors etc, as you can use them to contact mountain rescue / coastguard (if you have the freq's stored!)
is a ham licence required for a uv5r? or can you just use it to listen in at the moment...then use it to transmit after the event
(28 August 2013, 16:32)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]is a ham licence required for a uv5r? or can you just use it to listen in at the moment...then use it to transmit after the event

Legally, you need a license to transmit.
BUT, it's a hand held radio, you'd have to be REALLY unlucky to get busted for transmitting. Just remember not to transmit on any official freqs. (Coast guard etc) They DO NOT like that!!

Just found out that my contract is being extended until March 2014 Big Grin
Not technically a prep, but it keeps the cash flowing in, so it definitely helps!
i'm going to buy a couple for future use.
(28 August 2013, 16:44)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(28 August 2013, 16:32)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]is a ham licence required for a uv5r? or can you just use it to listen in at the moment...then use it to transmit after the event

Legally, you need a license to transmit.
BUT, it's a hand held radio, you'd have to be REALLY unlucky to get busted for transmitting. Just remember not to transmit on any official freqs. (Coast guard etc) They DO NOT like that!!

Just found out that my contract is being extended until March 2014 Big Grin
Not technically a prep, but it keeps the cash flowing in, so it definitely helps!

I would not recommend transmitting on the ham radio channels, apart from it being illegal, fellow radio users will report you, and rightly so, there are people out there that will be able to track you down, its not worth it

It is not illegal to listen in to any channel though
You could minimise the risk of having ofcom jump on you by turning the power down, setting the bandwidth to narrow, and using them only in the pmr446 band. They are capable of operating between the assigned pmr channels, and are also capable of transmitting on one freguency and receiving on another, to give you some small amount of privacy.
or could go on a foundation ham course and do the test