Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(28 August 2013, 18:02)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I would not recommend transmitting on the ham radio channels, apart from it being illegal, fellow radio users will report you, and rightly so, there are people out there that will be able to track you down, its not worth it

They'll only be able to track you down if you're in a static location...
Then what? They're going to struggle giving the police a description.

I use mine whenever I feel like it - I don't know if I'm being overly sensible here, but if you don't make an arse of yourself, if you're polite and stick to the same protocols as everyone else then you can't go wrong. Just make up your own callsign "G3NEB" or whatever and you're good to go.
BM,

It is illegal. It's as simple as that and in this instance it isn't like you have no other option there are options available to stay legal. My advice is to use one of those.

Like everything else as long as you are prepared to pay the fine then you have few limitations. Just remember that when you are raided for one thing they search everything. So why take the chance?

But up to you as it always is.
(29 August 2013, 12:40)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]BM,

It is illegal. It's as simple as that and in this instance it isn't like you have no other option there are options available to stay legal. My advice is to use one of those.

Like everything else as long as you are prepared to pay the fine then you have few limitations. Just remember that when you are raided for one thing they search everything. So why take the chance?

But up to you as it always is.

Aye, illegal it may be, but so is breaking the speed limit, and there's always the option to slow down...

Getting legal with one of these involves time, which I'm not prepared to give up when I have the equipment already and it's exceedingly simple to use and contact others and give them a made up callsign. I'm sure there's probably a cost involved also.

I very much doubt I'm going to get my house raided for using a ham radio when I don't have a license. Especially when no one knows who they are actually talking to. They may struggle to locate me.

Everyone knows the risks of breaking the law. But you've got to get caught first...
OK. Fair enough. You have made your choice. Let's drop it and get back to the thread.

Today I just bought a vacuum packer for my preps. I'll be using it for more than food. I intend to shrink rap batteries and water treatment stuff. To make handy packs. There is a long list.
(29 August 2013, 13:10)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Today I just bought a vacuum packer for my preps. I'll be using it for more than food. I intend to shrink rap batteries and water treatment stuff. To make handy packs. There is a long list.

I vacuum packed some spare pants an socks to keep in the car.

Seemed like a good idea at the time - but the bag I used was WAY too thick. The only way I could open it was to use a knife, which sliced through the bag wonderfully. Also cut my kecks to pieces.

Dunno what you got with yours in the way of bags? Have you tried the roll yet? You just cut it to length
BM, Good idea. I'll try that. I'll leave a reasonable size part at the top so I can cut it and it is away from the items.

Everything I'm looking at now i'm looking at with a view to see if it can be packed away like that.
You can use standard freezer bags cant you?
(29 August 2013, 14:44)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]You can use standard freezer bags cant you?

Can't say I've tried normal bags, but I can't see why not. If you get the good ones they should be thick enough.

Those big crisp packets are resealable though, very handy that is Wink
(29 August 2013, 14:49)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 August 2013, 14:44)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]You can use standard freezer bags cant you?

Can't say I've tried normal bags, but I can't see why not. If you get the good ones they should be thick enough.

Its just that when I go camping with the dogs [ they are raw fed] I use normal freezer bags to reduce the size of their meat so that it goes into their back packs,... half a chicken or equivalent in Venison at a time
(29 August 2013, 14:56)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 August 2013, 14:49)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]

Its just that when I go camping with the dogs [ they are raw fed] I use normal freezer bags to reduce the size of their meat so that it goes into their back packs,... half a chicken or equivalent in Venison at a time

I've been thinking of switching Winston over to a raw food diet. Do you let yours eat all of the chicken bones? Some vets say it's fine, others say it's a big no no. so I have no idea!