Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
not much cash at the moment but rather than do nothing I thought I would have a quick experiment making char cloth

so dug out a small tin cleaned the labels of and pocked a hole in the lid. I then chopped one of the little ones old cotton hats (too small for her now) and popped them in the tin and closed the lid. dig out the single burner stove and put the tin on top (once the stove was lit)

waited a few mins for the smoke to stop and turned off the stove and waited for it to cool.

had a look and we have char cloth take a spark easily and doesn't burn to quick but holds the ember really well

A quick easy project not sure why I've not tried it before
I got the needles out today! No, I'm not back in the gym and on steds...unfortunately haha.

I got out and double stitched, triple stitched some areas too, of my clothing.

You know when some parts of your stitching can become damaged when running through brambles and the alike? I like to get some extra stitching on them, just in case.
Just ordered 3 x hurricane lamps and another gas stove plus gas bottles.
I did a little experiment today with a mix of soda bread, I baked one half in the oven as normal and one half in the tin on a shovel next to the open fire,.. both turned out well and tasted as good as each other, but the learning curve is not to bake on the shovel as the heat from the solid base burns the bread,...it needs a grill like in the oven so that the heat can get around the tin better.

.... but a good experiment and pleased with the results

[Image: baking_zps47510de2.jpg]

The shovel bread on the left, a little burnt on the edges, it will be better next time, but at least I now know it can be done

[Image: uncut_zpsff832404.jpg]
Nice work HL.

The old railway-men used to cook bacon and eggs on the shovels and used the train's furnace to cook it. You could try that next (it sounds wrong but add a little cinnamon to the bacon. You'll love me for it).

Today, my preps have involves an order of nearly 900 tea lights. That'll keep us warm for a while. More importantly, the greenhouse will stay warm too.
We do have another plus today,.. we have been looking for the `All American Pressure Canner` for ages, even asking friends going to the states if they could fetch one back,.. they never could of course because they are too heavy.

....but guess who just found one on Ebay with a buy it now price of £220,.. they are just so rare in this country that we couldn't pass it up,.. so bought it
Today will be turning some bung's to fit inside the manhole covers to prevent a back log (sorry pun) of poo building up on my property in the event of a long term bug in. As you know people will still be using the toilets the last thing I want is the garden to be rendered out of bounds or for it to be coming up my pipes in the house.
ordered some super wellies and a pair of aluminium collapsible snow shovels to keep in the cars
Cut some oak limbs off today ...loged up stacked in the drying shed, picked up five sacks of spuds , forty eight lts of long life milk, leather punch set , weeded poly tunnel , cleaned chicken coupe .....little kevin attacked me again......I think the bastard is doing crack.
Shotgun cabinet has arrived, that mossberg 590 is edging every closer...