Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Same as usual,slowly stacking lots of tinned and dry goods,extra warm winter clothing and any old antibiotics that don't get used.I did invest in a good quality snow shovel.I'm tired of cheap ones that have swivelling heads or poor wood handles.I invested in a stout aluminium handled one,nearly choked at the price but when in Consett prepare for snow Rolleyes
Knowledge. Lots and lots of knowledge. Boring...maybe. Useful? No. Only useful when put into practice and able to be used well.
(22 November 2013, 20:59)Talon Wrote: [ -> ]Same as usual,slowly stacking lots of tinned and dry goods,extra warm winter clothing and any old antibiotics that don't get used.I did invest in a good quality snow shovel.I'm tired of cheap ones that have swivelling heads or poor wood handles.I invested in a stout aluminium handled one,nearly choked at the price but when in Consett prepare for snow Rolleyes

In consett you have to prepare for snow in August Smile
Garden centre has small foldable shovels for £7.99. As much as I am not a fan of them, for that price...had to get one. Maybe get a couple tomorrow for the cars.
PHP Code:
[quote='Highlander' pid='75216' dateline='1384892877']
I did a little experiment today with a mix of soda breadI baked one half in the oven as normal and one half in the tin on a shovel next to the open fire,.. both turned out well and tasted as good as each otherbut the learning curve is not to bake on the shovel as the heat from the solid base burns the bread,...it needs a grill like in the oven so that the heat can get around the tin better.

but a good experiment and pleased with the results

[URL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/digger_photo/media/baking_zps47510de2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/digger_photo/baking_zps47510de2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The shovel bread on the lefta little burnt on the edgesit will be better next timebut at least I now know it can be done

[URL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/digger_photo/media/uncut_zpsff832404.jpg.html][IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr158/digger_photo/uncut_zpsff832404.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]
Lol 
S13 if its for snow don't bother...i used an entrenching tool to clear a patch of snow big enough to put a two man tent on and build snow walls on three sides , took an hour and a half .. the guy next to me used a propper snow shovel to do the same thing next to me in 20 min's....horses for courses mate...better than nothing but not by much lol
(24 November 2013, 15:30)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]S13 if its for snow don't bother...i used an entrenching tool to clear a patch of snow big enough to put a two man tent on and build snow walls on three sides , took an hour and a half .. the guy next to me used a propper snow shovel to do the same thing next to me in 20 min's....horses for courses mate...better than nothing but not by much lol

I was playing around with some today. My hands are about the same size as the ones I got, so figured they wouldn't be ideal for that stuff. However, for digging a quick hole for toilet time, worth it.

If it wasn't for the price, I wouldn't have bothered though, because they are so small. For in car though, I quite like them. I'd rather use one of these to dig out a car and risk the weight of the car on that, instead of my hand, if the car slips.

Got a few fire blocks and some seam sealer stuff today. Nice and cheap!
shovel patrol is the best use of an entrenching tool for us civvies.
I got some sturdy aluminium shelving units from the old Jessops shop in Newcastle. 6&1/2ft high by 5ft wide & you can put the shelves at whatever level you like. Be handy for sorting my shed out & increasing storage space for business, camping & non-food prepping stuff (sacks of rocksalt, sacks of dried dog food & other stuff suitable for storage in cold conditions). 3 lots of the 6&1/2ft x 5ft units for £65, a good buy in my book.
found a local supplier for some decent quality(Draper) 12 inch hacksaw blades, not the usual cheap bendy rubbish.