Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(15 May 2014, 21:32)Devonian Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure that storing tinned foods in the loft is the best option?

Surely it would be like storing them in a cooker at low heat, loft spaces can easily reach 50 degree C in the summer months. This is one of the reasons for positioning Air Source Heat pumps in loft voids.

http://www.nea.org.uk/see-us-in-action/c...hp-for-dhw

Such heat could (I guess??) easily spoil your food over a matter of months.

This is a common misconception.

Our prepper neighbour has loads of food in her loft and it's been up there nearly 10 years. She popped up the other day to get some down and it was good as new!

The only thing she recommends is to store it all in big plastic tubs. The idea is that if you have anything that can freeze and break it's container, you don't want it leaking everywhere....makes sense. Having said that, in the 10 years, she's never had anything freeze up there, but it was recommended by a friend who apparently did.

Not 100% sure I'll be doing that. Maybe just put it all into a trough style shelf so if anything does get broken and leak, it'll run into the trough. But I really don't see that happening, to be fair.
ideal storage is cool/dark.....a loft space is only dark...I'd use a loft space for non food only(tools/clothes/spares)
yesterday i got 6 palletts in my citron c1, today chop and smash for my hobo and winter kindleing all under a bright blue sky...
Making DartsAngel
Wifey baked bread five loafs......welshcakes two tins. Full yum yum! And some fruit malt bread bloody huge yum yum will give the recipe for it later .......to busy eating it as I type this.......got to go now! .
Girl at work has offered me a LOAD of plants, like courgettes, beans, sweetcorn, and the alike! WOO! Nice one. She knows I collect the tea bags for the compost bin, so it's good to let people know some of your interests. Otherwise she would have just thrown them into the compost, she said.

Looks like I'm getting a load of stuff, around 20+ plants apparently.
nice one Scythe, nothing wrong with FREE stuff.
Am I the only one prepping here? Nobody seems to be chatting about what they're up to, haha.

New spotting scope arrived today! Oh my goodness! Did someone say that 60x was a good idea? Thankfully it's variable, but I can see the eye colour of a pigeon from 100 meters away, with maximum zoom! Crazy!!!
received a spare prod for my crossbow yesterday, will be ordering another( different draw weight) in a few days time.
The girl in the office has brought me those plants!

8x sweetcorn
2x courgette
2x butternut squash
LOADS of tomato

I'm a happy bunny!