Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I have chopped up a tonne of firewood (3 of us chopped 3 tonnes, 2 on chainsaws and me on axe splitting. So we're dividing it a tonne each).

Also got a child's wood working book, to get the wife started on basic woodworking and DIY. Prepping her for when I'm not there (we all started out doing simple stuff). This is a great excuse to get more basic hand tools for her, some of which we already have, so building spares of some. While buying tools, got myself a load of bigger tools for the log cabin project. Going to start my practice corners soon, so if I vanish from the forum for a while…I'll be busy having fun with traditional tools! WOO!!!

Lastly, got a couple of books in the post today.
Been removing nearly all shrubs and some trees for better vision, and more growing area for veg, re routed stream for generating power...all done as part of plan B ....more grain ordered, lots more food preps .
We had an enormous tree taken down recently - it had shed a large branch and was branded unsafe - and the wood pile has grown enormously as a result. So, we've been moving and stacking the smaller logs under cover to dry for next year, and piling the rest ready for splitting later. I think it's going to be a wedge job; even the chainsaw was struggling with some of the bigger chunks. Still, it means next year's wood supply is taken care of - I like to be ahead of myself.
I've been smelting down lots of scrap lead into more useful stuff. Also been tidying up storage space so I can properly lay out preps like food storage in a cool dry environment and really understand what I've got.
Laid two new paths...raking back the soil and clearing the stones out, planted a thirty foot row of potatoes....pickled seven kilos of onions, made 14 jars of damson jelly. Packed up grain and got that stored , cut some horseradish and pickled some, split and re planted some, been using stored fuel ...all gone ....time to refill all cans again.. waiting on some frost for my parsnip's before i raise and store them....they are huge....next up is more tree felling a few oaks and ash, then the final store shed can be ripped out to enable more accsess to the bottom ground behind the garage...where the root cellar will go and the stream being used for the generator wheel.....then a total check of all preps....saving that for those dark long winter nights.....stove on along with a kettle placed on top !
More pickled onions.....very small ones....seven kilos took me three nights ....just finished....more mundane prepping stuff next week....if this bore,s your tits off please let me know ! i,ll stop !.
(11 October 2015, 21:22)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]if this bore,s your tits off please let me know ! i,ll stop !.

Hell no, keep going, it just makes the rest of us work harder to keep up Big Grin
Been digging a New Well today, got down 8ft only another six foot to go...crystal clear and cold .
(12 October 2015, 21:55)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Been digging a New Well today, got down 8ft only another six foot to go...crystal clear and cold .

That's an interesting project SS, do you have any photo's of the works in progress that you don't mind sharing?
(12 October 2015, 21:55)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Been digging a New Well today, got down 8ft only another six foot to go...crystal clear and cold .

Do you board it out as you go (i.e put the walls in as you dig down) or dig a big hole first, then line what you need?

Can't do it in the new place as there's a 6 foot diameter tunnel under the house and garden. Could get this in the parents garden though, they've got an underground stream and a couple of wells already, but they filled them in or covered them over when I was a kid. Near miss with me jumping into the well kind of put my parents off the things.