Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So much for waiting until my nights next week to get to know my new transceiver , been fiddling all morning , I can operate it now after a fashion , still has loads of functions I fear I don't really understand and may never use , spent the morning monitoring a private fire and rescue service running a couple of exercises , thought it was the Airfield/Aviation factory about 4 miles away at first until they exited the site and name checked a road on air and I realised it was at the bnfl facility about 7 miles away , quite impressed with the range on the stock aerial , I'm wondering now if I've wasted my money on the upgrade(not arrived yet , suppose the proof will be in the tx ing)
(14 January 2016, 12:42)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]So much for waiting until my nights next week to get to know my new transceiver , been fiddling all morning , I can operate it now after a fashion , still has loads of functions I fear I don't really understand and may never use , spent the morning monitoring a private fire and rescue service running a couple of exercises , thought it was the Airfield/Aviation factory about 4 miles away at first until they exited the site and name checked a road on air and I realised it was at the bnfl facility about 7 miles away , quite impressed with the range on the stock aerial , I'm wondering now if I've wasted my money on the upgrade(not arrived yet , suppose the proof will be in the tx ing)

If time permits I'll download the manual for your radio to see what programming options you have. I'll let you know which functions are worth learning and why.

Stock antenna will be quite good on a Yaesu, but we don't know how much power and what antennas were being used by the folk you were listening to. ( BTW what frequency were they on ?)

What upgrade antenna did you purchase?

questions questions questions!
Was on 442.775 fm....very interesting , gone quiet now lunch I guess
(14 January 2016, 14:23)Midnitemo Wrote: [ -> ]Was on 442.775 fm....very interesting , gone quiet now lunch I guess

This might be a useful frequency listing for you MM

http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php...5&start=10
Hi Midnight,

I've looked at the op manual on your new radio.. Its a good machine and a good choice.

As promised I've shortlisted the need to know stuff, which will hopefully speed up your learning process on that complex bit of kit.

Rather than bore everybody stupid here on the open forum, I'll post recommendations to you by PM in a few mins.
Hell No. Make a new thread and post it on there. Others are interested.
With my new found love of wood, I've been in the market for a new axe for several weeks now. A splitting axe to be precise, one with raised shoulders of steel just above the blade. These things are for splitting up large logs.

Until now I've been using my trusty Sandvik felling axe for this task. And while it gives me a good workout, it turns out that it is not really fit for purpose as its too thin and digs in too far without performing the splitting action I require.

Anyway, I was in the local hardware store this evening collecting some more firewood briquettes for the stockpile. I was attracted to the axe display area ( of course) and was having a good look at the Fiskars composite handles very orange X25 and X28 models, but couldn't make my mind up. What I really wanted was one with a hickory handle so that I could replace it if ever it became damaged. As luck would have it I found one. An unknown brand, probably Chinese, with a 3 1/2 lb splitting head on a 3ft6 hickory handle....the price? £11.00 I thought there was a mistake. The handle alone was probably worth more than that. So I purchased it before the mistake was noticed.

Its home safe and sound now, and even in the dark, I couldn't resist a few swings. It seems to do what its supposed to, and certainly a whole lot more efficiently than my old Sandvik. It lacks a good cutting edge, so I'll sharpen it tomorrow and will play some more to see what its capable of. Deep down I know that one of the aforementioned Fiskars will be nagging away at me until I have one of my own. But hopefully the £11.00 wonder will keep the desire under control for a while:-)

==========================================4

Update: This is the axe I purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELKO-SPLITTIN..._24wt_1141

e-bay price £57! Looks like I got a bargain.
I collected my hay-baler yesterday, the old fashioned type that makes square bales. I should have a surplus each year, they will be built into a wooden frame to insulate my workshop over the next few years - hopefully ending the curse of condensation on my tools.

As a bonus, the seller said he had some baler twine I could have. I did the sums, there is just under 5 miles of it. Should last me a while.
How do you mean Steve ....the sides...the roof....or both ?....on the roof tack up some breather felt first...the new stuff and batten off.
(18 January 2016, 09:40)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]How do you mean Steve ....the sides...the roof....or both ?....on the roof tack up some breather felt first...the new stuff and batten off.

I have divided off 1/4 of the barn as my workshop, 20' x 40', but will probably settle on 40 x 40 so as to be able to get the tractor in comfortably. The bale insulation will be around the walls plus a layer over the top of a strong ceiling. I'll lose the natural light from the clear roof panels, but it's worth it to keep the temperature constant - warm days and cold nights mean condensation on my machinery. A small woodburning stove near the lathe / milling / welding area will make longer jobs more comfortable.