Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The new storeroom was finished last week, stocked out today about 40% full , started putting my canes up ready for the runner beans ,twenty five foot row , tomatoes are doing real good.....peas, broad beans and onions are doing great, cabbages, lettuce coming on , all the fruit trees, and bushes are coming great not one failed.

Like most of you....today we had hail,rain and sunshine, but we (sil) got stuck it and got loads done...i even gave the lawn the first cut....loads of pansies bluebells and primroses are out beautiful colours , had a sit down by my table with a coffee and had a good long look at it all .........its eight weeks of none smoking ....hell ....i am thinking bout getting my position back on the rugby pitch !
First off sale of house was completed 8th July ...so i am off the starting blocks and running...groundwork guys are starting the drainage and raft foundations in two weeks time ....so after ALL this time and waiting ...and lots of talking....it is finally happening...phew ......game on ! .

Picking loads of peas,broad beans,spuds,toms,cucs,lettuce ,and cabbage heavy crops of everything !.

New storeroom is now well and truly FULL !

So i am up to my neck in it, and not much time to get it all done ready for winter.....that's all for now folks !
Finally bought a Berky big boy this week, had some friends clear the remaining half of the triple garage today so i can store materials for the new build.
Looks like i will be forced to sub out the building of the new place, but i have no choice at the moment.
Sounds good SS, and the Berky is a great investment.
House I bought in Nov2014 fell though. Bought a different one with a significant delay. Garden wasn't as big. Moved in about 3 months ago.

Fitted a water butt. Got two big first aid kits fitted on the wall in the bathroom/cloakroom and kitted out the garage with some wire frame shelving they were throwing out at work.

Now I can actually build up a decent set of supplies. Had to throw away about 50 litres of bottled water when I moved with it as I couldn't move with it.

Going to get the garden sorted with a veg patch/mini greenhouse at some point as wife seems keen. cant keep chickens like I'd planned at the other property so will see what I can do with the available space.

Hopefully get some more random house related preps sorted at some point since I now own it and can drill into the walls etc.
The build is coming on nice....timber frame shell and roof was up in one day, the roof is felt and battened and dry, SIL and yours truly cut in the 5" floor insulation and laid the sheet t&g flooring Saturday , cut in a loft trap and ladder today started cutting noggins ready to sheet the ceiling, will finish that tomorrow and then on with the wall insulation ....external 100 mm inside frame 100 mm inside face of room 25 mm ...loft 12" wool...we will be very warm no matter what ! plumber and electrician coming to first fix Tuesday.....bathroom stuff on site the new kitchen arrives on the 11 th Oct .....windows and doors delivery this Wednesday and will be fixed the same day......i see a bit of light at last....the garage alterations for the bedroom will have to wait till next year....wifey looks happy....in fact see's very happy bought new fridge/freezer today......i thought it very odd to have bacon and eggs two days on the bounce....extra toast ....should have seen it coming.
Just placed an order for a fold up bicycle through the cycle to work scheme , going to be my ghb that's "get home bike" gonna live in the boot of whichever vehicle I'm using
Well its All Done .....everything including the garage conversion ...utility room , bedroom and my man cave .....and its brilliant .

The new build went well and like clockwork ...with one exception ...the raft foundations turned out to cost double , but the finished job was worth every penny .....i am glad i over done the insulation this is payback in the years to come , and right now , its very very warm in here ....LPG gas bottles 4 x 47 k we moved in 3rd November 16 we have used two bottles as of today ( replaced 2 today ) that's about £10.00 per week hot water cooking and central heating

I also had a Yotul 602 wood stove fitted .......we have this on most days ...we have to open windows.....Oh been doing some soups along with other stuff on there.....the kettle is always on there......its brilliant.... this thing heats the WHOLE place......for next to nothing its really cool the heat to fuel ratio is fantastic ! i have enough firewood for the rest of my life here around the grounds .

So the dream has finally become the reality.... we are now embarking on our new lifestyle ....all that's left to do is putting up the poly tunnel and glaze up the green house.....finally .....then solar panels (by others) chickens,ducks,pigs and a goat or two .....oh and a antenna .......just one more hurdle to clear ......then look out.....did i ever mention all the ladies love me and want me to do things to them.....its fucking embarrassing.....all down to me being so drop dead gorgeous and a totally hansom bastard...but i just get on with it.
Excellent news SS (and Mrs SS). Well done. It just goes to show what you can do when combining a good plan +determination + hard graft +skill.

That heating system combined with the extra insulation's doing a fine job and is very efficient indeed. Great stuff. Out of interest how many sq ft are you heating, what average temperatures are you maintaining indoors and what's the average outside temp been since you moved in?

I asked as we're just doing final fit on our daughters place and I could do with an energy consumption benchmark to see how well that place's insulation's doing.
To be honest LS not checked on the outside temp but internal is maintained at 22.5 c ....with the fire on and heating off its 27 c .....and windows are opened (the fire is on low smouldering) ....you would think me being in building all my life should not be surprised at such efficiency of modern day insulation BUT I AM amazed by it ....at night i am down to my Y fronts (not pretty and not joking) 8 pm on wards ....we have this thing going ....watching visitors peel stuff off ....and ask for a drink of water.....we give then a rating 1-10 ....we are having fun mate ! .......which reminds me ,i will have to get one of them weather station things and get it fitted, going cold here now ....snow in the next day or two ....as for costs on the LPG i have bought a device of the internet . WWW://lpg.com you can screw this into your RED bottle take it to a garage and fill it yourself instructions come with the device.....not done this myself YET but i will ....this will reduce costs considerably .Heat retention is most incredible THIS way of building is the future for sure quick easy .....shortage of dwellings could be sorted WITH plenty left over inside two years YES two years and cheaper by 30% at a minimum .....they know this of course but will not do it because of crushing the property market sad but true ....anyway guys n gals INSULATION is KEY even if you build a (shed) ......that's what one passer by said ..."big shed butty...you can do some work in there " as for size LS ...main bungalow internal size 18ft wide x 25ft long x 8ft high converted garage 12ft x 16ft x 8ft man cave 5ft x 9ft x 8ft .........plenty of room believe me ....workshop 12ft x 25ft store room 16ft x 8ft ....i will order that weather station now ...i will update you as time go's by mate.....the lecy is here now to rewire the workshop as i type.....so i'll make a brew for him ...then GO OUTSIDE TO COOL OFF .....lol ........i will send you pics when i get around to it mate! SS.