Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(7 June 2017, 20:43)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Hi LS .....last year i converted a Luton body into a storeroom , it faces North...i insulated floor , walls and roof ( internally ) like you most 85% is in plastic bins ranging from plastic dust bins ,plastic boxes, plastic pail and clip cover and plastic kegs (thanks TOFF ) these are no problem most all within .....the contents .....are in sealed mylar (by me ) the problem seems to be TINS i have stored on open shelves (timber) .....have been in there again today.....its got to be condensation at least 80% of it....it has a fibreglass roof ...i think that is the culprit ! ....going to insulate it externally then re-roof over the top.....but tin fruit ....may well be to acidic but i will have one last go.....i intend to try this make up a box out of polystyrene place in 12 tins gaffer tape together ( leaving spacer gaps between ) the using filler/fixing form to encase it all...i know is sounds and probably over the top but....sliced peach and fruit cocktail is not going to woop me ....at least if it works ........ oh aye nasty piece of work me .

Hi SS,

Sounds like the tins on open shelves are pulling in humidity from the air. Getting them inside any sealed or semi-sealed boxes will improve things a lot. The problem occurs when the tins are colder than the dew-point of the air around them. In that situation, ventilation just worsens the problem by wafting in moisture laden air. We've learned the hard way to keep a close eye on humidity and dew point throughout the year.

Mary: Indeed tinned fruit is quite acidic and starts eating its way out of tins as soon as they are sealed. Ditto, our fruit stores are all dried. Last year we started drying apples and pears on our loft drying trays and the results have come through the last winter intact and are still very edible once re-hydrated. We're planning to up-output this year...more pears and apples and this time we'll be trying plumbs as well.
change of mind ....dried fruit ...is the only real solution ...i have a dehydrator although we use it a fair bit ....i intend to tool up with some mylar bags and oxi absorber's and order up some more kegs.
Taken delivery of 60 mylar bags 10" x 14" and 60 oxi obsorbers along with some 30 ltr plastic kegs with clamp lever straps.....so i am ready to rock big time with my dehydrator....on with fruit preps this coming week, setting it all up in the garage.

The greenhouse is doing fine cucumber,tomato , and couchettes are doing very well,top poly tunnel had to be moved for excavator so not in use, however bottom poly tunnel doing great ...full of stuff.

Outdoors ......broad beads ,runner beans,peas,onions ,lettuce and potatoes...coming along nice.....black and red currants along with gooseberries will be harvested next day or so...been pinching strawberries on the sly...away from wifey's eyes....grandson did'nt take the bullet for me and grassed me up .

Sil has set up fish tanks ready to breed fish that will then be transferred into three or four 900 ltr tanks to run our planned aqua-phonics greenhouse...been talking about it for a few years ....but now its time to get on with it ......at the same time i will build in a new hen house and use their body heat to heat the mushroom boxes above , rabbit hutch will also be built in ...along with solar set up to run some led's and pumps ....so lots on the go here on the ranch.
Sounds great SS Smile

I've finished all the work on house N02 and first viewing is on Tuesday, so the only edibles growing here are strawberries, lots and lots of them. I hope the new owners will leave them be.
Ummmm lots of Strawberries you say....you hope the new owners leave them be .....do the descent thing Harry .....whats the address....you can tell me ...it won't go any further .
My strawberries were all eaten by my new puppy. We're at early the crate training / cry all night phase. A small amount of pain and then I'll have a guard dog and SHTF squirrel catcher.
Been going forwards with the dehydrating of the fruits .....all the stuff i bought is now complete and packed into mylar bags....off out tomorrow to get more selections of stuff.

Update on aqua phonics fish we will use in the system (Nile Tilapia ) a colony costs about £150 -£180 ....Sil has set up a few tanks ready to breed and has put in some other fish to get the water right and is monitoring PH levels etc ....doing fine at present.

Food prep stores inspection YES AGAIN today revealed another shortcoming of mine....the white food grade buckets .....i stacked on top of one another...the weight has forced to lower ones to crack the lids and collapse....i should have put some ply spacers in ...what a knob i am ....the lesson here folks is think long before you store your preps ...rushing to get stuff done just won't cut it ....think of consequences before the come back and bite you on the arse .
There are a few cucumbers ready to cut , so will slice them up tomorrow and dehydrate those , cut some ply up ready to re stack those buckets also tomorrow.

Today sil and i removed the old deck and timber joists ...we will re purpose all salvaged gear to build the aqua phonics greenhouse ...at the same time the removal of the deck means we can gain better access for the mini digger we intend buying.

Bought about 15 k of dried fruit......raisins,sultanas , apricots, prunes , mixed fruit and some brown sugar packed it and sealed it in mylar bags.
"There are a few cucumbers ready to cut , so will slice them up tomorrow and dehydrate those"

They don't rehydrate well at all SS, a waste of time drying them, best to pickle them IMHO.
Okay Harry i will do that....as i have in the past...thanks for the heads up ....just in time too !