Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(3 August 2012, 13:38)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]Just finished canning Bolognese sauce and some sausages.
Found some foldaway tin openers in Wilkinsons so added a couple packets to the stores.

I bought a value tin opener from tesco a few months ago and put it away in a box, I was sorting out those boxes the other day and the tin opener was rusty and had green stuff growing on it... I hadn't used it and it was the only thing that seemed affected. It would've been something I'd have put away and not checked on or rotated, but I'm glad I did and now know to keep an eye on everything.

I filled up some 25l containers with water yesterday (my prep of the day).

(5 August 2012, 00:57)Melissa15 Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a value tin opener from tesco a few months ago and put it away in a box, I was sorting out those boxes the other day and the tin opener was rusty and had green stuff growing on it... I hadn't used it and it was the only thing that seemed affected. It would've been something I'd have put away and not checked on or rotated, but I'm glad I did and now know to keep an eye on everything.

I filled up some 25l containers with water yesterday (my prep of the day).

good to know that things light cheap tin openers are prone to rusting Smile cheers melissa!

i just found a really cheap site for lots of different stuff, so hopefully ill be getting an actual fallkniven F1 for 16 dollars!...i know it does sound too good to be true, and it is from china, but the seller is well respected and theres quite alot of feedback on that specific item, so ill be buying 1 to start off, then buying lots of them and selling them to mates for a profit xD

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...07987.html

theres the site for anyone interested, i've yet to purchase, but as soon as i do ill be posting my thoughts on the item and seller!

otherwise i started organising my kit a bit better and bringing it together in one place Smile
i buy the cheap butterfly type tin openers in Tesco ..get 4 at a time..got about a dozen stashed away so far!
(5 August 2012, 00:57)Melissa15 Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a value tin opener from tesco a few months ago and put it away in a box, I was sorting out those boxes the other day and the tin opener was rusty and had green stuff growing on it... I hadn't used it and it was the only thing that seemed affected. It would've been something I'd have put away and not checked on or rotated, but I'm glad I did and now know to keep an eye on everything.

Hmmm sounds like some part of the tin opener had a few copper componants under the nickel coating and verde de gris has formed as the copper oxidises, I cannot see this being mould unless you put it away dirty. Sounds very much like its made of such cheap materials like a copper and mild steel componants coated in zinc plating to make it look nice. Maybe better looking for a stainless steel one.
Stocked up on toilets rolls today at Tesco and saved £0.30p a litre on diesel. Fulled up the landrover and 3 jerry cans.
Stocked up on cereal before the prices go sky high.....Rice crispies, shreddies and sugar puffs £1 a box at ASDA Smile
Got some packs of Angel delight type stuff from Tesco at 10p a pack, dunno if you can use powdered milk to make them ?
Managed to find some dried banana at 89p for a large pack, and last but not least Tesco on spaghetti strands at 23p? so bought 4 Smile
Ordered two Barnett Banshee 25 lb draw compound bows for testing, investigating ther Barnett Vortex and looking at as basic a compound bow i can find.
Wifey just phoned to say some Tescos are giving out vouchers for 50p off a litre of fuel if you buy £30 or more of breakfast cerials ( unconfirmed)
£30 of breakfast cereal? Wow..great marketing plan, Make us rush out and panic buy, then there WILL be a bloody shortage causing future cereal to triple instead of double in price...TESCOS FAULT grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
We used to often buy the huge catering / hotel sized boxes of cereal from trade outlets, we soon got through it.
NR can confirm that you also get a £0.10 coupon off on other stuff, I think its cat food certain type, dishwasher tablets, cereal, toilet rolls and something else. You can use up to 5 coupons off fuel to £0.50p off a litre to a maximum of 100 litres just done it see above.