Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Buried somewhere in the shed is an electric chain saw that belonged to my father, 1970s vintage. I don’t know when it was used last, i was not impressed with it and found a bow saw easier and quicker than getting out the chain saw and the oil, sorting out the extension lead etc. I only used my old bow saw 3 or 4 times last year. I don’t have a hard hat so that would be useful, good gloves are an investment and not expensive as they last longer and give better protection. We don’t have large trees in our garden they were taken down years ago and replaced with holly’s and fire thorns for security. We burn smokeless fuel, we could burn wood if we had no choice, i have all crates, boxes, tubs and drums stacked on pallets, these will be burnt if necessary and i’m always looking for more.
I'm with both Morty an d Mary on this one Pete.

We did a long term off-grid test a few years ago and it was simply not possible to fell and convert enough wood using bow saws.

2 stroke top brand saws are the way to go. Expensive as they are, you really do get what you are paying for. In my opinion your dad's old electric chain saw is not a useful prep.... it requires the grid to be up, and in all likelihood will not be very reliable. Best flog it on e-bay and put proceeds towards a proper piece of kit.
Thank you all for your comments, I will look for a quality chainsaw asap.
(1 February 2018, 17:41)Pete Grey Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for your comments, I will look for a quality chainsaw asap.

As Mary advised Stihl or Husqvarna are good choices. After a lot of research we went for Stihl, on the basis of somewhat easier cold starting.

Unless you intend felling redwoods, go for the smallest machine that will fell the sort of timber you'll be encountering. And remember that felling a big tree is easy compared to getting it back to the woodstore, splitting and converting it.
Thank you both for your recommendations now i know which one to go for.
I have tried the old battery and it is ok, started vehicle without any problem. It will now be kept as a spare together with jumper leads, trailing cigar lighter socket and 12v phone charger and a small solar panel in its own plastic crate, job done.
Q: Why no preps this weekend?.

A: Six Nations rugby on television, FANTASTIC.
Well i'm back , but issues are far from sorted...i will tell you all about the goings on as time go's by but for now i will keep my silence on matters ....nothing health related and i remain stunningly good looking and i am still able to throw a few chicks around the dance floor.

Last week has be spent logging up fallen trees , splitting, and stacking... done two cords of Ash.

Re glazed some outside road lamps for John the farm (for the local church)....the older i get the closer i get....need lots of brownie points.

Wild child is doing okay ...bit down but gets back up again....so to cheer her up i decided to have a game ....called (Kill The intruder) this involves dressing in black clothing, balaclavas and gloves ...then hiding in the garden for twenty mins trying to detect one another ....if this fails we move on to the next bit......Breaking and entering the house...keys are not allowed.....who ever is successful earns to right and access to the chainsaw.....the final part (best bit ) is removing as many body parts as possible in 20 seconds.....after this she was really happy and cheerful...she even made tea with her bandaged arm and leg ....what a gal!
Welcome back SS.

Great to read that you and wild-child are OK.
Many thanks LS good to be home.