Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Picked the blackcurrants today, big decision, jam or wine ?.
What's wrong with both, Pete? Or how about making cassis?
I have to agree with Mary on this Pete.

If you do not have enough currents and a decision must be made then I vote that the decision be to plant more currants.
Agree with MaryN and MB.

Creme de Cassis is the next best thing to 12 year-old malt whisky.

Current jam seems a waste and wine doesn't do them justice.

Plant more currants....
John the farm called in today , verdict on my blackberry wine "best we have tasted in years" so i gave him three ltr of elderberry to try out , i cucumber ,lettuce, lime marmalade, and some beetroot seeds , he brought some beetroot and a load of old stories and tails of time past (great) we sat on the deck and had a few coffees (the latest brand in my quest is ILLY dark roast) £7 .00 for a 250 g can...and the best so far .... this is very nice coffee mate ! ....so i tell him about my quest .....do you know what would really boost this....no ,,,whats that John .....some single malt ! ....and so we did try a spoonful ....or so...i jump in his truck and turn it around (not that he could not...but at 84 its just easier for me to just do it .

This week we have picked 3 lbs of runner beans 2 lbs of broad beans, the last of the spring onions, and all of the peas ....cabbage and celery are ready to harvest ...as i have cleared some of the raised beds i have cleaned out some weeds dressed in some compost and reseeded with more onion sets white and red ...some more lettuce and more beetroot.....cucs are being picked,tomatoes are coming on big time but not ready yet ......peppers are the same .....more potatoes are ready....Sunday lunch will be a pleasure to behold tomorrow (rack of beef) ........so its coming time for the (production shed ) to swing into action big time again .....wines to make of different types ....ten gallons...proper beer to brew .....jams,jellies,and pickled onions,chutneys, and many other things to occupy SS's time....but its pure pleasure for me....off to the market tomorrow for fruit .....wine .....don't know what yet but i wiil not come back empty handed ...will take a look at my old wine book tonight for ideas ....i like having a wide choice of weapons for mates that drop in unexpected.....yep i'm one sick individual.....nobody loves me.
We aren’t into growing food on a large scale, we have three raised beds for vegetables, more or less enough for summer and autumn, with a few beans carrots and parsnips for winter, and some fruit trees and bushes.

With these and our food stocks we should have enough to last through the winter, we always have a good stock of seeds and if we think things are going pear shaped we would soon clear some growing space.

Stuff is doing well but with the drought watering is a becoming a pain.
Takes me nearly two hours to water Pete and that is just the front (my bit) if i do the rear that is another hour and that is with a hose ....with a watering can a lot longer....the sil just shows the water............."my stuff seems a lot slower than your's dad" no shit son.....try soaking the buggers ! and in this weather leave the roof and side vents OPEN and don't bugger off to work and leave them SHUT in the greenhouse and your two polytunnels ......i joked the other day to wild child "i am going to call them the INCREDIBLE'S .......but all said and done he is a good lad....................btw done a 24 ft row of carrots today.
Best buy was Apricots....so its apricot wine ....and more jam .
Picked the first of the blackcurrants yesterday, so the first of the batch of this year's cassis is now humming to itself in the kitchen.
Made 7 pints of apricot gin and 7 pints of apricot vodka yesterday .......in readiness for Christmas (presents) bought some tins of this and that to replace the ones (i have thrown out ) .....again !....called into WHAT today (store chain ) picked up glass storage jars with plastic screw tops which incorporate double handles about a gallon £6.49 each ...great value got five ....great for us preppers (grab some ) check out your local WHAT ....we have ten now....be quick though they only stock them for a few weeks...wide tops you can get your hand in .