Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Mrs SS. (waving)
Hello Mrs SS!

Keep that man busy or there is no telling what mischief he will be up too, and there is no doubt ti will be expensive.

Shelves! Shelves everywhere!
This afternoon i bought a laminator and some pouches, i have some maps i will cut in sections, and also intend to laminate some data sheets i have printed out, these will be in our BO and GH bags.

Also topped up on OC medicines, also some first aid dressings and some more steristrips and ordered some sterile plastic dressing tweezers and some syringes (for wound irrigation). This would be the limit of my surgical skills.
Spent most of today sharpening my knifes ....all of them ! from a few licks to a major overhaul and a good clean ....took delivery of four ton of clean chippings ready to bed in land drainage pipes ...the pipe and fittings will arrive Monday , but i will make a start tomorrow on the tricky bit and hope to complete by Sunday....the rest is easy to complete 24 mtr run then 18 mtr run down the lower drive to collect any run off (belt & bracers) if the weather holds should get it all done by next weekend ...if i am left alone ! ....pulled a pile of beetroot , some corn and leeks ...wild child will get on with processing that lot tomorrow , i have brought over my huge stock pot for the beetroot ...and plenty of more jars for pickling ....the ultimate diversion tactic !
In April close to where we live, on public land just off a well used foot path, i buried two plastic tubs containing bits and pieces to see if proper caches could be hidden there, within just a few minutes of walking from home, and they are still untouched.

Now i will start to equip two real caches, so if we have to leave home on foot with just the clothes on our backs we will have 48 hours of food, and a few essentials to sustain us.
Pete .....any food in these tubs ? if so what type ....does the tub have a snap clip lid ? did you inspect the contents or just left it untouched....this would be good for others to know .
SS...i used a couple of tubs with snap on tops which i had knocking around, i cut circles of tatty old plywood to strengthen the tops. Inside there is some kendal mint cake, no food as such, a collapsible water container with a few coffee filters and sterilising tablets, a led torch + batteries, 2 cigarette lighters and some tea lights, a knife and some other bits and pieces (can’t remember all).

I have not dug them up yet just checked they have not been opened. This was only a trial and now i will see about doing them properly, i have started to make a list and am gathering items ready for a comprehensive cache with everything for emergency bug out.
Better check those contents. I have seen worms get through glue sealed PVC pipe and get at food contents and I have never seen a makeshift plastic cache that had remained intact more than a few weeks.

Anyone that has cleaned up a sewer line after root intrusion ruined a perfectly glued and sealed PVC line will know what I am speaking of.
(19 August 2018, 16:23)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]Better check those contents. I have seen worms get through glue sealed PVC pipe and get at food contents and I have never seen a makeshift plastic cache that had remained intact more than a few weeks.

Anyone that has cleaned up a sewer line after root intrusion ruined a perfectly glued and sealed PVC line will know what I am speaking of.

I intend to leave the trial caches until i have got the new ones ready, as i want to keep activity to minimum as they are on public land.

They will be swapped over before dawn on a wet miserable day, before people are up and about, if i find they have been compromised or water damaged i will try and find a new location. But they must be close to home, a few minutes walk.
Picked some more blackberries down the field, there won’t be many as it’s public land and consequently well picked.

Stripped the apple tree, some for more apple and blackberry jam and a lot has been peeled sliced and frozen and will be used for pies. Plums have also done well this year.

All in all this year fruit yield has been very good, we look foreword to next year when the new bushes planted last autumn will be baring more.