Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
been given a load of oak have cut some up alredy nearly a ton there and have to clear the rest of the dead fall Big Grin some have been in the sea does anyone know if thia will make any difference to the burning when it has been dried out

b/d
(19 August 2012, 20:17)bowdrill Wrote: [ -> ]been given a load of oak have cut some up alredy nearly a ton there and have to clear the rest of the dead fall Big Grin some have been in the sea does anyone know if thia will make any difference to the burning when it has been dried out

b/d

Will burn better due to reaction of oils in the wood or something like that. Also is supposed to give off pretty coloured effects. Nice!! (This is what I have been informed by a reliable source) Got to be dried out first of course.lol
Well my son is starting to grow up, he is now 14 and my absolute pride and joy, but as he grows his wings are spreading, he is yet again away at residential summer camp doing languages, scubu diving, rock climbing, archery, field craft etc and thriving on it. BUT he is away from home again and events around the world are getting more unstable. if something kicked off I would not be their to protect him.

So though I have trained him in basic fieldcraft he is still not tactically or situationally aware so this week I spent a lot of time developing an aide memoure for him to keep in his rucksack when he is away. basically its just a simple guide expaining to him to take control of his own safety if it all goes tits up. Assess situation, stay put hunkered down for a week if its safe to do so to give me chance to pull him out, gather certain supplies and items of kit, listen to the news. what to put in an improvised BOB if he cannot access his own, what routes to try and follow if he has to bug out, lots of reassurance hints and tips etc. Heh alreasdy been contacted by the parents of one of his roomates asking if they can copy it and adapt it for their own kids !!!
Started refitting sons BOB bag as he is getting old now so can carry more kit and also be that bit more self reliant. Also getting nagged by others in group to do a Map and Compass lesson for the kids and a couple of the adults.
Canned 9 jars Minced Beef.
Grabbed some tins of chopped tomatos.

Can any one recomend a cheapish water filter and compass,there the last two things I need for my bob. Got the tablets and played with making my own filters but making your own wont always be an option when it goes tits up.
(27 August 2012, 16:19)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Grabbed some tins of chopped tomatos.

Can any one recomend a cheapish water filter and compass,there the last two things I need for my bob. Got the tablets and played with making my own filters but making your own wont always be an option when it goes tits up.

Never comprimise on Compasses, the one and only best for all seasons is the Silva type 4 preferably with civvy and mil readings on it 360 degree and 6400 mil, and if funds allow get the Tritium tipped one.
Dont worry nr im mot buying a compadd from poundland
Knife, Flashlight, Compass, Watch, Shades, Lighter, Boots NEVER go budget for tactical kit, keep budget gear at home for power cuts etc Smile
Compass and a water filter are next on my list,then stocking up on food/water and my bike.