Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We were given a load apples yesterday, we had already picked and frozen all of our own after making blackberry and apple jam. So i think i will try making apple jack.
Finished off the pickling onions last night 6 jars , changed the tracks on the digger took about 10 mins per side , will pick up some 2.5 cable to run the electrics into the digger shed.....i have plenty of points and light fittings in stock....i have set up the split'er under cover so i will run a point to it at the same time, been sorting out timber to construct a cover for the trailer ....new floor and weld some rope eyelets and a new paint job ...the pallet yard was closed yesterday .....bummer ....peeled the pods of the runner beans and set them up to dry (second batch) as i do every year.....i will sow a pile of trays next year and sell them off to locals and through work places where my daughters work (this is why i'm so loaded ) ......waiting on the trees to shed their leaves so i can fell and process them some are dangerous plus the extra light would be most welcome....then some hedging , never ending around here.....but i love it !......onward Christian soldiers !
We’ve been given even more apples by yet another friend, must get a couple more fermentation buckets.

Finished putting the new liner in the pond, could not just drop in the liner, had to get in and shovel all the crap out, total time twelve hours, but it’s done now, all finished.

In view of changing circumstances i’m thinking of making my BOB more of a 72 hour bag as if we have to evacuate it will now be by vehicle.

A 72 hour bag will be of more use if we have to move out for a few days, to friends locally (we have a reciprocal agreement) or to a hotel.

If we need a longer evacuation it will be by vehicle, as both vehicles are always loaded with much more gear than we can carry (and can be topped up with pre-prepared crates).

As usual your comments and advice will be appreciated.
Constructed the roof cover for the trailer, scrounged the timber and some corrugated pvc roof sheets from around the ground ....all finished and the trailer is protected from the elements......i will now get on running in the power points and lights into the digger shed.

The blackberry wine has dried so bottled up yesterday..... 6 bottles ....emptied the brew shed and gave it a deep clean.... floor,walls, ceiling in fact everything....and wild child was on hand so no cheating ....passed inspection ! ....well eventually ! " you'r not so much loose .....but rather slack" she said.
The digger shed is now powered up...points and lights work as they should.....also set up the security system for the son in law ..fully operational . Pulled all the beetroot ....all boiled up ready to process about eight jars we reckon ...this second crop was poor .?
It's that time of year again! Home maintenance ...clearing gutters,drain channels,and a general clean up ...some fencing needs sorting ,then it's all the garden plant and the generators ,oil ,filters and a clean down.
A major check on all the food preps is required ....along with all survival equipment ,so I will be very busy by day And on these cold dark winter nights.

Not done that much this week the grandkids had other ideas , wild child been busy ,beef goulash ,beef stew ,lamb stew ,pie,s pasties ,tomato soup ,celeriac soup all batched up logged and in the freezer ...it's cake day tomorrow .....I know what you,r thinking , she is so lucky to have me absolutely !
Someone must be responsible for making sure the quality of food is of the highest standard, this usually falls on the man of the house.

It is a very important task and should not be taken lightly, the duties of the official food taster are second to none.

Just make sure you have a good bottle of wine at hand to accompany such foods.
You are so right Pete ! and i take my duties very seriously it's a dirty job but someone has to do it ! Yesterday afternoon for example i was forced to taste Victoria sponge ,Apple pie and tarts and custard tart .....life can be such a bastard but what's the point of complaining ....I just get on with it.
Yesterday it was Christmas puddings, today Christmas cakes and homemade mincemeat.

I need to go and get some cider as tomorrow as OH will be cooking pork in the slow cooker, mmmmmm!.
Up to now ....seven sacks of tinned food ready to THROW OUT ...full range of stuff ! And only 25% through it,looking at it ...there will be just as many tomorrow and that is the shelf stock, I am now going to recheck all the plastic bins again about 20 total ....everything out ....everything ! This is a full week , the bins contain mostly dry stuff grains,rice,pasta,beans and lentils .