Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The three joints of pork loin (bacon) is now hanging from the ceiling in the brew shed ,and will remain there for the next seven days to dry to finish the cure process ,John the farm popped in today and started to dribble "would you like a chunk mate!" I ask . ..oh yes please pal ! Not had some of that in years ,and I am really looking forward to tasting some ....it looks delicious .....let me pay you mate I don,t want to take advantage...I had to threaten a forearm smash! . What you doing with that ? As he looks at the dehydrator ....drying John well dehydrating really " it's like a factory in here" or aye there,s lemons,limes,and some oranges left to do then some more veggies then some jerky...Jerky ! Not had that in a while....no problem butty I will drops some up when I get it done ( now John's wife is not so well these days ) .....wild child disappears ....then reappears with MY tray of ice slice...with real icing covered with a blue cheque tea towel ...my bottoml lip was going uncontrollably as we wave when they drive off......I turn to wild thang ...before you start! I am as bad as you cock! wrap your flap ! I will make another!.......btw I also gave them a steak pie ...I have been inconsolable for the last seven hours.
(6 December 2018, 00:37)Pete Grey Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Pete Grey' pid='103478' dateline='1543536118

I’ve repeated this post because on reading up i’m not sure there is an advantage to keeping dry charged batteries, to filled and charged lead acid batteries on the shelf.

It appears dry charged batteries kept for 2 years, then filled and charged only give 80% of the rated capacity, which wet batteries can better if periodically recharged, and kept in a cool (15 degrees) dry place.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge (CH) can help here.

As no one has commented on or contradicted this post i assume it’s correct.
Sorry Pete I do not know enough ,but I know someone that does soon as I know more I will get back mate.
(8 December 2018, 13:02)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Pete I do not know enough ,but I know someone that does soon as I know more I will get back mate.

No worries SS, I’ve just figured this site batteryuniversity.com very informative, but to “speak” to someone with practical experience is always best.
A visit to our butcher on Friday to stock up on meats and order the Christmas feast trio ...so got some extra beef to make some jerky ....got them to slice it , soon as we got home out come the mortar n pestal and herbs were crushed ...then my mix was prepared ,then the best strips added all coated up cling film covered the bowl then into the fridge.

This morning laid out all the strips on baking paper then onto trays and loaded all trays into the pre warmed oven for fifteen mins....then out patted dry ....then loaded into the dehydrator for eight hours so at 7.45pm tonight (about one hour to go !) jerky !...bloody yum yum !
Confession time ....I piged out last night !...now where did she hide the bowl ? I need another bit !
That should be HIT ! It took wild child fifteen mins to get me to release the bowl ! As she held my hand on the radiator and screamed in my ear "No Zaltan No.... release you little bastard release".
The cured bacon removed from the hooks and is now ALL sliced up wrapped into individual packs (grease proof paper) and into the freezer ,we left a pack out for dinner tonite plus a few rashers and some odd bits left over.....wild child put these in a pan no oil just to try out for taste and quality , now this is not the first time for curing bacon but this time we used back bacon not belly pork ,the other thing done differently was the herb mix.

So as the three rashers and bits sizzles away ....the aromas were truly incredible (you would not believe it) ....ready she said! Let them cool she said ...I will put the rest in the freezer then she leaves for the brew shed freezer ...hey....I am into the pan picking out the bits first .......oh wow! Ummm slightly salty but nothing that prevented me scoffing All the bits without any doubts THE BEST I have ever had ! ...I place the three rashers on a plate ..wow you got to try this sweety !! ( I just knew you would eat those bits ...you greedy pig ) I am now into the rashers and so is wild child then the problem one rather left ....it took a while ....but I reluctantly cut in half making sure I had the biggest half.

All joking aside ....I doubt I will ever buy shop bacon again ....I would encourage you all try it .
Continued....called up to John's farm with a pack of bacon and some jerky .....oh thank you pal we been looking forward to this ,as he folds back the wrapping and inspects with his eyes and nose holding up to show his wife "that looks and smells good mate" and it's delicious John the greedy bigger nearly eat the test batch ! ( wild child could not wait to slap me down) we will have that for dinner later ! Says john,and what's in here? Opens the Mylar Ziploc inspecting with eyes and nose ....oh beef jerky ! Pulls out a strip ....straight in the gob ....oh....ummm...oh.....well pass me a peice then (John's wife) .....well mate that's excellent ! I must say..as the kettle hits the Rayburn for tea ....John's wife shouts now put the bag away! There will be none left ....look at him he,s 84 and acting like 24 ....I gaze over and find wild child rolling back her eyes and nodding in agreement.

Anyway I'm charging on, about to bottle up the last of the wine....enough for ten bottles Rhubarb wine.
Made eight bottles of Rhubarb in the end ,more logs to split tomorrow morning then get another garage tidy up and a trip or two to the dump . Took some ph readings today and some adjustments are required here and there ! .....getting colder here !