Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many years ago when we were just married and moved into our own house i was given a book “Adam the gardener”.

In the 1940s Cyril Cowell wrote a weekly column in Daily Express newspaper in the form of a comic strip giving gardening tips and telling readers what to do each week.

It was later published in book form and i believe it is still available after countless reprints.

But now all we have to do is wait for SS to post on his preps, he’s always on the ball Smile
My head is in the shed at the moment Pete ….reasons similar to your previous post …..its a good job ...don't think i'v ever mentioned it before ….I am so bloody devastatingly good looking and a babe magnet !...….i'll be back in gear soon pal .
(5 March 2019, 14:07)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]I have lived in caravans through several brutal winters. I ave also know many full time caravan dwellers and they often view a stationary caravan as the start to something bigger and better as they add rooms and more soundly built features, using the self contained portion as a utility base.

The key to being warm is underpinning them and sealing them against air intrusions.

SHTF you should have a small tin wood stove set up instantly.

If you are wearing everything you own to stay warm inside, what do you do when you go outside?

It isn't everything I own. It is merely a nest and I have enough nesting material to fill the caravan.
With most static caravans you usually see the underside boarded off, not only do you stop the wind blowing underneath ( the floor has virtually no insulation) you also create a fare amount of extra dry storage.

For our camper van i’ve made a skirt out of heavy duty plastic sheeting ( like the stuff on curtain sided wagons) it rolls up quite small. This is for bug out only and is in one of my famous BO crates.
In B&Q today, RECHARGEABLE VARTA battery packs £6.47 all types, better than a tenner.
(6 March 2019, 21:26)Pete Grey Wrote: [ -> ]With most static caravans you usually see the underside boarded off, not only do you stop the wind blowing underneath ( the floor has virtually no insulation) you also create a fare amount of extra dry storage.

For our camper van i’ve made a skirt out of heavy duty plastic sheeting ( like the stuff on curtain sided wagons) it rolls up quite small. This is for bug out only and is in one of my famous BO crates.

Good idea. I've actually sealed it off with black plastic as part of my camouflage attempt but using it for storage sound good. Funny I never thought of that as I am usually good at spotting storage opportunities. Thanks.
Planted on 40 broad beans and some cabbage 8 ….all covered with cloches , the trailer is not finished yet but usable , the polythene turned up last week will cut that into the sizes for different planed uses and still have a huge piece left just in case I forgot something.

Potted on a pile of assorted tomato plants , will be sowing carrots, beetroot and onion sets this coming week (all under cloches) along with some lettuce that's ready to plant on ……….even put up the bean canes 20 ft row (I was bored and pissed off ) the small polytunnel has a heater ,and has been on over a week …..all coming on good in there and now I have room to start off more stuff .

Last year I ordered a packet of mixed pulses with the intention of sowing them (wild) in hedgerows (as suggested by MB) …..I did try some but they did not amount to much...….but I will have another go this year (with a bit more thought this time) I have a plan ! for all around the ground, and some different locations within a few miles of our place .

Some more trees are down around and about so I will go process them shortly …...some high winds and very wet ground sorted the buggers out ! …………….onwards !!
I put new doors on the shed yesterday. The shed is still sound and is now on its third set of doors. The last ones I installed when I moved in ten years ago.

I am not as fast as SS and it took me all day and I failed to get five more jobs done when I finished. In fact, I required a rest break and a chicken sandwich part way through and massive applications OTC pain killers when finished.

I used up a sheet of plywood and a dozen 2x4s and had a fantastic day of weather for the job.
Speaking of shed doors MB , I have to make a new door for the bike shed, some dull bugger hit the old one with a digger ! this tends to happen when sil,s leave doors open in high winds ……...funny how you lot never hear of my minor crimes and misdemeanours ! …..btw SS is not as fast these days ……….but his keyboard IS ………..MORE CHICKEN ! wild child !
Since the weather is holding well with temps in the 20s C, I have more chores to tend today.

Item #1 is wiring the Jeep for trailer lights. For some unknown reason the vehicle came with the towing package, which included the heavy 50mm slide in hitch but no plug for the lights. Even the owners manual gave me no clue as to a hidden location, so it is off to the races.