Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do not forget to buy some 3" drywall or deck screws to secure that plywood into the door frames Pete.

You will also need a couple of long 2x4 sections to span the opening and support the plywood on the inside. I prefer one at the top and bottom as well as the middle.

I would also buy some good barn door hinges so that if the worst ever becomes the normal one could open the plywood panels for some light and ventilation when possible, then swing them closed and drop the bar to secure them.

That system works well for all first story windows and doors.
(31 March 2019, 16:54)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]Do not forget to buy some 3" drywall or deck screws to secure that plywood into the door frames Pete.

You will also need a couple of long 2x4 sections to span the opening and support the plywood on the inside. I prefer one at the top and bottom as well as the middle.

I would also buy some good barn door hinges so that if the worst ever becomes the normal one could open the plywood panels for some light and ventilation when possible, then swing them closed and drop the bar to secure them.

That system works well for all first story windows and doors.

I’ve already put extra screws through the frame into the brickwork and fitted an extra third hinge on each door and new locking bolts, i don’t think i can hinge the plywood panels (not enough space) but they will be framed for strength and i can fit brackets on them for dropping in locking bars.

I might fit extra 2 x3 uprights to the frame to brace it, they would not normally be seen as they would be behind curtains, will think about it.

The panels will be drilled ready for screws or 6mm mushroom headed bolts all ready to fit should the situation warrant.
Fitted the new door on the bike shed ….solid neat and tidy ! good job I clotched up all the plants we have had cold weather and some snow light frost hail rain …..but all good .

All four polytunnels are up and running , John the farm dropped off a load of horse manure and some welsh cakes . Stocked up on toilet paper (big time) also increasing tinned food of all types …...we are done !...….only space remaining is for dehydrated foods ….the cherry gin is now ready to rack off then bottle up , the Pancetta will be ready end of this month to try out ….the trailer is still not finished but it will get sorted soon enough , going to tickle up the chain tomorrow and process some downed trees …..but first its off up to the pallet yard for firewood ….4"x 4" X 39 " truck and trailer full .
Only five raised beds left to plant up , all others are planted up...……...I have protected most all with cloches due to light frosts , logged up three trees , ready to split , will get that done this coming week , I know I said we were done with tins BUT bought 120 tins of Branston baked beans on offer in Farm Foods ...cleaned the shelf …...bought 4 plastic 30 ltr storage bins with click covers , ordered another deep cycle battery £98.00 just one more to get to complete the bank , ordered 40 plastic toggles that clicklock along with 100 mtrs of elasticated paracord ……...I put in a bid for a complete solar panel set up 4 Kw includes 16 panels and all the kit and caboodle ….its five years old …..£600 …..looks like its mine checking it out this Sunday , off up the pallet yard in the morning for more firewood …….later Dudes ………...hello ? is there anyone there ?...……...HELLO ! ………….nobody loves me …...not even Mr Wilson !...….HELP ME......HELP !
(12 April 2019, 16:51)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]……...hello ? is there anyone there ?...……...HELLO ! ………….nobody loves me …...not even Mr Wilson !...….HELP ME......HELP !

I’m here, been away for a while.
I am here SS!!

If ever in doubt send me a PM. Often I do not post if I have nothing of interest to contribute.

However, I do check the forum every morning as part of the wake up ritual. Coffee, meds, check the news/weather, then check SUK.
I'm here too! I pop in very now and again, but it is the busy time of year for us. Next time I'll probably have a chicken under one arm.
I still check it daily and remove all the spammers. Too busy with everything else to spend time writing posts though. Sorry.
I’ve finally started to catch up on some jobs, due to family illness everything stopped at the end of January.

As yet we have not yet planted any vegetables in the raised beds, we will probably end up having to buy plants in instead of growing from seed.

I’ve started to refill the jerrycans with fresh water and am checking food crates for expiration dates, any short dated items will be moved to kitchen stocks and used up, then they will be replaced for long term storage, so i am making a shopping list.

We’ve not yet been able to get to any car boot sale, usually there are always some useful gear we can get at a bargain price.
Well the outcome of the second hand solar set up hit the wall ...the viewing was just another attempt to get more money, turns out the system is ten years old , so I just rocked on out of there.

Just one raised bed left to plant up...…………...and a few containers . all bedding plants have now been planted on , the other container flower plants are out of the polytunnel , I will fill that polytunnel the next few days with tomatoes , cucs, and peppers .

I have sown 180 runner beans …..no not all for us ! some to sell some for friends.....I must have a 1000 seeds left.

Ordering two emersion heating elements …..12 volt ones with inbuilt stats .