Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got the BOV MoT'd today sailed through no failures and only 2 advisories slight rusting of the brake pipes. Not bad for a 14 year old vehicle.
Kicked the fags and bought a £5 throw away one, 4 days now and only had 3 cigs instead of 80 Smile I'm on my 2nd electric cig and doing really well, not feeling the benefits yet but want to be fit and healthy when TSHTF. The money I have saved is going to go towards decent preps. I also bought some silver foil mylar blankets from the pound shop so not banking on them being very good?
Bought some decent sewing needles and thread.
(9 November 2012, 23:46)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]Kicked the fags and bought a £5 throw away one, 4 days now and only had 3 cigs instead of 80 Smile I'm on my 2nd electric cig and doing really well, not feeling the benefits yet but want to be fit and healthy when TSHTF. The money I have saved is going to go towards decent preps. I also bought some silver foil mylar blankets from the pound shop so not banking on them being very good?
Bought some decent sewing needles and thread.

Well done PAD. That's really good!!!
In regard to the mylar Poundland blankets, they're nearly as good as normal ones, only difference is that they're smaller. You know when you see runners with a small space blanket that only wraps their top half? That's how big they are.

Today, for my prep, I have.....Started filling the side cupboard with tins! The base layer is about 40 tins! So, each level I cover, leads to another 40 tins! For 2 people, 40 tins, ignoring being bulked with rice and pasta (separately stored) will last just about 6.5 days (1 tin each, per meal, 3 times a day, plus rice pudding, custard, and dessert type tins as extras). So, each level I manage to cover is another week's worth of food. Add to that, bulking up and the alike.

Porridge for breakfast means it'll be 2 tins a meal, twice a day = 4 tins a day. Thus, each level will be 10 days of food.
Once a day, bulk with rice or pasta (we have many months worth of that) will mean that meal will be 1 tin for flavour. So it'll last longer.
I'm going to make a post on this, as it could take a while to do all the maths.
nearly finished 1 stove (made from a gas bottle) looking real good be ready to paint in a few days....then i will make another for me..more tins..... pasta.... rice .....and medic supplies...ground flour on my refurbed grinder made bread (wifey)......love it ! .. split more wood.....onwards and upwoods
Managed to convince my mrs to let me do a big "tin & dried packet" shop. Got about 80 tins of food today, all stuff we would normally eat anyway but just (quite) a few extra of each. Plus things like dried flavoured pasta & rice, few pot noodles, instant noodles & packets of soup. According to the wife I bought far too much but I told her at least we have it in now incase anything happens.

Also going to get an empty calor gas bottle from my dad so I can exchange it for a full 1 tomorrow afternoon so it's ready for when my current one runs out.
Bought two replacement maps for my BOB, Old uns were falling apart so I replaced them with new ones but instead of 1:50,000 Landrangers I've gone for 1:25000 Explorers instead as my eyes are getting old. Spent most of PM adding my annotations to the new maps.
Strange weekend this one. Sold my BOV to finance the new business, went for much less than I wanted to sell it for, but it was cash in my pocket. Bought some stock, treated myself to some UnderArmour SpeedFreak boots (very comfortable!) then got given a Series 3 Land Rover Big Grin

Needs a bit of work doing to it to get it back on the road, but it's 99% there. AND it comes with a whole load of spares. Very excited about this, can't wait to pick it up and get it on the road!
Then I can get it sign written with the new business name on the side.

Spent yesterday down the allotment clearing some bushes out the way, making room for a place to park the cars.
Bought 100 litre water butt, tested out archery kit on huge lump of pork we let go past its use by date, bought two hippo bags to store more logs in, realised the Taipan X bow was not fit for purpose. Try to understand what the hell they are talking about on the radio comms thread.
Finished upgrading my BOB maps info.
well the stove is finished and delivering it tues 20th it works brilliant very pleased with it exceeded my expectations .. more rice pasta tins... put antifreeze in the BOV ..oil and filters ...i am now running out of room for my food prepps need to sort this out .. will start on my stove for BOL this week (from a gas bottle) ..will post photo of my corn grinder in action this week ....ordering hatchet this week estwing.....split more wood .....getting maps....nr just reminded me again ....3 times now doing that right now
Chopped more wood. Turned over the diesel in the jerries.