Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(7 February 2013, 17:24)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a small order from HH today. Pocket organiser thing, to make EDC less hassle to move around.

MaxP Fatboy?

Bought one for the wife, comes in handy as she keeps all her gear in that then just moves it between her vast and varied selection of handbags.
picked up a cheap multi tool set (small leatherman style multitool, 3 inch knife and keyring multi tool) only cost £4.99 so im not expecting a lot from them but they should be good for spreading around my EDC. Plus added a few random bits to my stores, ordered a few more arrows for practice and picked up a book on home remadies that looks like it could be quite usefull Big Grin
(8 February 2013, 11:46)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]MaxP Fatboy?

Bought one for the wife, comes in handy as she keeps all her gear in that then just moves it between her vast and varied selection of handbags.
That style. Only a smaller one. Dont want my pockets to bulge too much.
Bought 2 whippets today.

Taking collection in a months time when they're ready.

Found places to take them where I don't need to scoop the poop. All in all, only did a total of 6 months research. The concept was pushed more with the altermatum I posted about earlier.

Wife is getting me a poop scoop tool anyway, so should be okay.

Apparently they're awesome to take rabbiting! Well impresses.
(14 February 2013, 00:55)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Bought 2 whippets today.

Taking collection in a months time when they're ready.

Found places to take them where I don't need to scoop the poop. All in all, only did a total of 6 months research. The concept was pushed more with the altermatum I posted about earlier.

Wife is getting me a poop scoop tool anyway, so should be okay.

Apparently they're awesome to take rabbiting! Well impresses.

Congratulations!

What made you go for the whippets?
whippets are just the kind of dog you'll need for after TSHTF, did you find out if their just pets or have they done any "field " work?? if they havent your gonna have to train them yourself--that'll keep you out of mischief!Big Grin
Went for whippets because....small poos! haha. I'm kidding.

Whippets were the kind of dogs we are most suited to and would benefit most from out lifestyle.

We are out running everyday (less so recently with underwater roads) so they'll be guaranteed to be out and about! Which they love a bit of.

Also, with me on nights and her working normal hours, it means I'll be able to get enough rest, because I'll take them on a run before I go to bed, and whippets sleep for 15-18 hours a day!!! So, when I'm asleep, they'll be snoozing too. Ideal for all of us. I won't disturb them, and they'll be quietly asleep when I am too! Perfect.

One thing people say about whippets is they get very lonely. With our work patterns there will always be someone at home, so they won't get the separation anxiety. Incase work pattern changed, we decided to opt for 2, for their own comfort.

They're FAST!!! Makes them ideal for rabbiting, but also covers my concern that something might attack them. You'll be hard pressed to catch a whippet!!!

We have a very large animal occupation at our home (2 cats, 3 degus, 2 guinea pigs, and 1 hamster), so there will be even less chance of them getting lonely.

A major benefit is that they're coming from a cat home, so are used to cats already.

We're getting them as puppies, which means it'll buy me time to learn to deal with the poos while they're small.

Whippets have very few health problems later in life. Main one being arthritis of the neck, so having limited issues is good.

They don't bark a lot, which is perfect for me, because I used to be VERY scared of dogs!!!

They get to wear cute little coats, so I can accessorise them....with mini saddle-bags.
I tried to convince the wife to let me have 2 degu's. She was quite interested until I told her I wanted to make a hat - then she changed her mind. Silly woman doesn't understand that good fur is hard to find!
a whippet is the kind of dog i would get if i wanted another dog, also greyhounds, although i'd probably go to a rescue centre and get a cross breed thinking about it.

(14 February 2013, 16:27)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to convince the wife to let me have 2 degu's. She was quite interested until I told her I wanted to make a hat - then she changed her mind. Silly woman doesn't understand that good fur is hard to find!

so is good help!Big GrinBig Grin
(14 February 2013, 16:27)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I tried to convince the wife to let me have 2 degu's. She was quite interested until I told her I wanted to make a hat - then she changed her mind. Silly woman doesn't understand that good fur is hard to find!

It's really not that great quality of fur. I thought about making a furry wallet, but they secrete an irritant from their skin as a defence mechanism.