Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What have done towards your prep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
picked up a cree LED touch from lidl £7.99
Just got a 1.5l water bladder. Don't know whether to put it inside the my BOB. Or on the outside between my back and bag? Any one got any idea which is best?
Depends on the bag. If it's an airspace type bag then probably on the inside, anything else I'd strap it to the front
Son in law got up the pallet yard for 7am today stripped remaining pallets , loaded up got back around 10am , ripped down the rest into studs, cut all to size predrilled ready to screw together, "the son in law left some nails in" had to head butt the nails out, and son in law, bolloxed my blade up....now taking Anadin extra for head ache.
Today I finally sorted out my bug out bag. I still have a few items I want to add yet but this is as it stands.

2 British army ration packs.
1.5l water bladder.
First aid kit + antibiotics and painkillers.
10 glow sticks, 5 torches and head lamp.
Picnic blanket (use it as a ground sheet).
Knife sharpener and six knives. 4 folding 2 fixed.
Electrical tape.
Weatherproof matches. In sealed plastic cases.
Pack of playing cards. (U know I will get bored)
Pen, pencil and notepad.
Spare set of clothes.
Spare batteries.
2 emergency blankets.
Baby wipes.
12 snares.
British issue poncho.
Emergency bivvi bag.
2 mess tins.
Bandana and balaclava.
10 tent pegs.
100ft paracord.
Knife, fork and spoon.
British army issue canteen with metal cup.
SAS survival guide.
Several forms of kindling.
Waterproofs.
Small folding shovel.

I think that's most of it no doubt I forget to mention something.

I also wear a tactical vest which carry various items as well. And all my items are camo because I plan on roughing it in the woods in my area. That is my bug out bag I will no doubt change it again in two months time when I check it.
Why take tent pegs? if you have a knife you can make them?

you are welcome Big Grin

destroyed all of the bolts that came wiith my xbow, the 175lb jaguar is a beast!!

when you are DIGGING into a straw bale to retrieve the bolt, you know its got a bit of punch lol!
(28 April 2013, 14:36)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]Why take tent pegs? if you have a knife you can make them?

you are welcome Big Grin

destroyed all of the bolts that came wiith my xbow, the 175lb jaguar is a beast!!

when you are DIGGING into a straw bale to retrieve the bolt, you know its got a bit of punch lol!

I take tent pegs because if need be I can hammer them into trees or rock if I need to climb them.
(29 April 2013, 01:25)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]I take tent pegs because if need be I can hammer them into trees or rock if I need to climb them.

Either you and your whole kit are SUPER light, or those tent pegs are super strong!!! When I bend tent pegs, I just grab them and reshape them. If I can do that, there's no way they could hold my weight! I must be buying crap pegs :-(

Your BOB seems to be missing shelter. Getting caught in a rainstorm sucks for 3 days afterwards when you're still drying out. I tried the ponchos, and even tried 2 of them for a shelter in a small storm. Totally sucked!!! As a layer they're not breathable, so you sweat loads in them if you're hot bodied. Cooler body people (my wife for example) really benefit from the increased heat, but if you're hot, you'll sweat like a beast! I changed to 'normal waterproofs'. I'd personally opt for a basha and separate waterproofs.

It's also well worth strapping some gaiters to the outside of your pack!
(29 April 2013, 08:43)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 April 2013, 01:25)Mooski88 Wrote: [ -> ]I take tent pegs because if need be I can hammer them into trees or rock if I need to climb them.

Either you and your whole kit are SUPER light, or those tent pegs are super strong!!! When I bend tent pegs, I just grab them and reshape them. If I can do that, there's no way they could hold my weight! I must be buying crap pegs :-(

Your BOB seems to be missing shelter. Getting caught in a rainstorm sucks for 3 days afterwards when you're still drying out. I tried the ponchos, and even tried 2 of them for a shelter in a small storm. Totally sucked!!! As a layer they're not breathable, so you sweat loads in them if you're hot bodied. Cooler body people (my wife for example) really benefit from the increased heat, but if you're hot, you'll sweat like a beast! I changed to 'normal waterproofs'. I'd personally opt for a basha and separate waterproofs.

It's also well worth strapping some gaiters to the outside of your pack!

I am very light and the tent pegs are ones I found in a local shop I don't know wot they are made from but I can't bend them at all and I've used them to climb before. Was annoying to get them out tho.

As for shelter I have the ponchos, yeah they don't breath very well but ever since I used them in cadets when I was younger I have always used them for shelter. I also have an emergency bivvi bag, I wouldn't use that all the time because of it been bright orange, however when there is a storm the combination of both makes an excellent shelter.
tent pegs-red plastic( so you cant lose them) very strong- in surplus shop in Barnstaple..25p each!