Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Faltered belief
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that occassionally my belief in prepping has faltered. Has yours? and why.
I can't say mine has. I don't prep for a particular scenario though.I see it more as an insurance policy and I do deal a lot with risk in my job.

Can honestly say it never has, I do from time to time get a bit peed off that my bed room looks like some kind of warehouse and I can't turn the central heating on for fear of spoiling my stored food coz the pipes run through the cupboards , but apart from that I like the sense of security I get from prepping.
I'm with you in that UKS.

Granted I'm probably one of the more intense of the people on here, spending LOADS of money on my preps....ask Skean Dhude if you don't believe me. I'm taking camping trips every 6 weeks, regardless of weather (missed this one, but only because Alybear has a kidney infection. Having said that, I was going to go by myself, but had to look after her). I'm going on a survival bushcraft day course soon. I'm building caches. I'm storing food and water. I'm going to be learning about skinning animals, making cordage, and making soap, among other skills. The Bristol Team seems to be set and ready to meet up, so that's a brilliant thing.

The main reason my mind faulters is because.......people. What makes me faulter is the way that so many preppers and survivalists seem to be freaked out about working in teams (thank God for people in Bristol). Most of you know about my experience with another forum. There they had a huge inner circle cliche. But that basically alientated everyone else. I didn't understand the reasoning behind it...and I still don't get it.

When there is a big hoohar on any site, it makes me think....well, at least I know I can look after myself.

I know there is a lot of stuff about Opsec and all that. But infairness, a team should work together. If someone told me where they had a cache of gold bars, I wouldn't go and dig it up. It's their gold, and they should be congratulated for saving it up. When the Bristol team asks about caches, I'll tell them where they all are, other than those in and around the house. But there are other reasons for that. Legal reasons, shall we say. Some items may be controlled by law (I don't think they are, but better safe than sorry) so other than that, if someone needs one of my caches, by all means have it. But I don't think people will be all "I'm peckish, McDonalds is too far to walk and I don't know where the corner shop is. Oh wait....Scythe13 said...." I don't expect people to be like that. Personally, with the team you plan to be with after TSHTF, I think Opsec should mean jack all.

Okay, I think I kind of had a little rant there.

But yes, UKS, I do get a little flakey at times about prepping. But not as to what I'm doing is right or wrong.I just wonder whether people will work together.....which I do believe the Bristol Team will do.

I also wonder whether I will actually survive any situation. I don't know if I will. But if I don't then the work I have done and the effort I've put in will be worth the while to the people in the house that do survive. They will find the tins under the bed, the caches in the garden and the map to the other caches. The weapons, tools, and all the books and survival manuals.

My preps will work out for my beautiful lady, and any family that are near by.
no I dont get flakey about prepping, i enjoy prepping but i'm not one of these people that worries about things in general, i take life as it comes, but i do believe we need some sort of "event" FAIRLY SOON because i dont think the human race can go on much longer taking from the earth and giving nothing back, i believe there will be a tipping point!
Scythe,

Where did you say the gold was again....... Only joking.

I believe in OPSEC forone reason and one reason only people cannot be trusted.

Sure you can make friends and you can form alliances but when push comes to shove it is every man for themselves. I've been screwed too many times by people to fully trust anyone withmy life and that is what we are talking about here.

Now, when an event happens then knowing what it is you can decide on sharing or not but if you have already told people about it you just can't take it back and when they are hungry eventually they will remember what you said.

If you have any doubt about human nature just watch a day of daytime TV and see family screwing each other over. Most of our families are not like that but it only takes one member,one drunk, druggie or even someone in love and you are toast.
(7 February 2012, 16:25)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]If you have any doubt about human nature just watch a day of daytime TV and see family screwing each other over. Most of our families are not like that but it only takes one member,one drunk, druggie or even someone in love and you are toast.

in most cases its "screwing" without the over, if you get my drift, yesterday i saw an episode of Jeremy Kyle where a guy had been sleeping with his brothers girlfriend- shows just how much he and the girlfriend cared about his brother?? is this what our "civilisation" has come to? i repeat my previous statement (on another thread) we really DO need an event to clear out the human "flotsom & jetsom", we need to go back a bit and start again, maybe we can get it right the second time? maybe!!
(7 February 2012, 17:57)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]we really DO need an event to clear out the human "flotsom & jetsom", we need to go back a bit and start again, maybe we can get it right the second time? maybe!!

Noah's ark. Which tells me, we need ANOTHER event to get it right the THIRD time.

I have a saying that I am proud to say is all mine. I have been saying this to my dad for years. "Civilisation (or Mankind) is thousands of years old. But human nature is less than 2 generations old." As people we are the same as when we were first on the planet.

(7 February 2012, 16:25)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I believe in OPSEC forone reason and one reason only people cannot be trusted.

Sure you can make friends and you can form alliances but when push comes to shove it is every man for themselves. I've been screwed too many times by people to fully trust anyone withmy life and that is what we are talking about here.

I know what you're saying. I am a very trusting person, but I think that's because of the sports that I've done. When I used to rock-climb, you trusted people with your life, litereally, at least 8 different people, 3-5 times a week. At uni a lecturer asked the class to sit down when their number was reached. The number was the number of people they can totally trust with their lives. I got to over 33 and was the last person standing from around 9 onwards. The lecturer said "There is no way you can know that for sure." I replied "I go rock-climbing, and trust at least 20 of these people with my life on a weekly basis. When you're on the top of a climbing wall and you let go to come back down the wall, that person OWNS your life." The lecturer said, "Other than extreme circumstances, or sports, you cannot trust anyone with your life."

I think being trust worthy and the alike, may be a downfall for me. But I am getting some hard knocks lessons.
I tend to trust people as well but I am very unforgiving. I only get screwed once.

That kind of kinship makes sense but you forget one key difference. They have nothing to gain and potentially something to lose by your death. You are out having fun. People would help you up if you fell over in the street. That is not the same as putting your life in the hands of someone who has something to gain and could get away with it. Hell, peoplekill now nowing they won't get away with it.

That my friend is comradeship, not true trust and I agree with your lecturer on his statement.
(7 February 2012, 19:46)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]That kind of kinship makes sense but you forget one key difference. They have nothing to gain and potentially something to lose by your death. You are out having fun.

That my friend is comradeship, not true trust and I agree with your lecturer on his statement.

That's a fair point and view.

I know a few of the climbers that I could and would trust post SHTF. But I know what you are saying.
Pages: 1 2