Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Petrol home storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is the continuation from a previous thread.

I spoke about stocking up on fuel at home.

There was a guy that apparently stored a load of petrol at his house, and the fire-department came round and pumped all the petrol away. It was a 'fire hazard' and they wouldn't allow him to store petrol at home!

This is going to be a clear teller for opsec!!!
1) How did they know?
2) There are laws stating the amount you can store. If you do not follow them then you can have it removed.

OPSEC rules again.
the rules are probably different if you own your own home, there will be a limit for safety reasons. if you are renting, then check your tenancy, ours states no more than 5 litres.
Petrol fumes are explosive, petrol burns easily, the vapour is highly toxic and it goes off so quickly that storing enough to last more than a few months isn't really worth it, so why bother in the first place?....
BP,

I think you will find the council bylaws are the laws that people live with. They limit it for....Ta da... Health and Safety. This is regardless of renting or owning. It is possible that your landlord may put more restrictive limits on but most people don't bother. There is enough beaurocracy around for landlords that they can't be bothered adding more.
(8 February 2012, 13:42)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]BP,

I think you will find the council bylaws are the laws that people live with. They limit it for....Ta da... Health and Safety. This is regardless of renting or owning. It is possible that your landlord may put more restrictive limits on but most people don't bother. There is enough beaurocracy around for landlords that they can't be bothered adding more.
we are housing association, so its on our housing tenancy, but we dont see anyone from HA very often-nothing for at least 2 years, and since i store it in the "garage" how are they to know anyway??
This might be a silly question but! has anyone tried storing Petrol for a long time? I have a petrol camping stove, last time I used it was 2002, I got it out last year and realised it still had Petrol in it so I lit it ( bit nervously) and it worked fine, I lit it again few months back, still works.
Petrol, like everything else, has a use by date and although it may work for ages beyond that date it isn't quite as good.

The recommended storage and what people get away with is wildly variant.
Yeah and big difference I guess between running my stove and expecting it to run the car after 10 years, shame I didn't have more would have been a good test.
I had a car stored at a friends farm in one of her barns for over a year once. I had no knowledge at the time that the petrol in it may have degraded beyond use. The battery was flat but after a quick jump start off I drove, apart from a bit of smoke for a couple of minutes it was fine.
Pages: 1 2