Survival UK Forums

Full Version: wild food
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how many of you could kill and prepare wild meat i mean we cant always live off tin food ??

b/d
Not me.

This is massively on my to do list.

I'm going to learn to hunt with a bow, set traps, and things like that first. Then I'm going to learn to prep meat.

I've been watching loads of programs about it, so I have pretty good knowledge. But it's not practical knowledge.....yet.
practice with a bow lol not allowed to hunt fur or feather thanks to the powers that be but practice untill the right time is here

b/d
(18 February 2012, 21:45)bowdrill Wrote: [ -> ]how many of you could kill and prepare wild meat i mean we cant always live off tin food ??

b/d

Can do, have done and will do again if neccessary, Rabbit, Hare, Pigeon,Grouse, Pheasant, Partridge, Seagull, Hedgehog, Squirrel, Rat, and one stupid sheep that walked across the ranges at Seaburn when we were live firing a GPMG in the 70s.
(18 February 2012, 22:03)bowdrill Wrote: [ -> ]practice with a bow lol not allowed to hunt fur or feather thanks to the powers that be but practice untill the right time is here

b/d

When I have a bow and have the ability to shoot, that is when I will be most skilled at catching animals. That is when I will learn to butcher, skin, prepare, and eat them. But if I know I probably couldn't catch them, there's not much point me learning that skill.

I'm going to up my basic wilderness skills over the next few months, then I'll be learning to build traps, snares, hunt with a bow (even if it is just practice range shooting), and that is when I'll learn to skin, butcher, and cook animals. Until then, I am practicing my general wilderness skills, foraging being one of them haha.
Scythe,

They can be caught many ways but they all need prepared. Try it out on roadkill. No need to be a bow expert for that.
thank you SD for mentioning Roadkill, this is a supply of meat which is readily available, and you dont have to kill it-someone has already done that for you, its something you can practise your butchery, skinning and cooking skills on, and if you mess it up at least you have the thought that at least you didnt kill it for nothing as it was already dead anyway.
i used to be a saughterman, i've killed by hand calfs, sheep, lambs. cows get shot in the head with a captive bolt (.22 blank) then bled by slitting the neck. Large numbers of sheep and pigs are first stunned with an electric clamp to the head, then bled etc.. i also worked in hallal and kosher places,only difference is they have there necks slit first then the cow gets shot with the captive bolt. i've also done the odd highland steer and huge pig sows,omg can they grow big!!! strange job all in all but interesting none the less.
we used to live in a town where there used to be a slaughterhouse(North Devon Meat ltd.) and it was always interesting to sit in the pub of a friday night and see all these bloody bags coming in and being handed over to other people.