Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 3 mile run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone,

This is a pretty simple question, when did you last check your fitness? By this I mean, something simple, like a 3 mile run?

When at uni I used to be able to run 8 miles with a 3 litre water pack, and about 5-7 kg of extra stuff, like FAK, kendle mint cake (yummy), protein bar for after the run, and a small weight. Added to that pack weight, I used to also wear 2 sets of 2kg ankle weights for my legs, and 2 sets of 2kg ankle weights on my wrists. Be warned, after research, it turns out that running with weights on your ankles damages your knees.

Obviously, believing in my indestructability, I thought I could at least pump out a quick 3 mile run. Oh how wrong as assumption!!! I ended up walking a few times. It was shocking how much damage an office job and a lack of training does. It's now going to be a chore to build my physical fitness back up.

The gym is great for strength, but there is nothing better than trainers and the road to work on the fitness and endurance aspect!

So...back to my question, when did you last test your fitness? By this I don't mean your ability to walk with a pack. I mean your ability to run without a pack. It is this ability for the lungs and heart to deal with high intensity fitness that I'm wondering about.
I still run about 3 miles regularly. I could do it in one go when I was younger but now I like to spread it out over six months.

I don't like to think in miles. I use feet for my running calculations. I think I can make 100ft.
(19 February 2012, 20:23)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I still run about 3 miles regularly. I could do it in one go when I was younger but now I like to spread it out over six months.

I don't like to think in miles. I use feet for my running calculations. I think I can make 100ft.

Haha, good answer.

I'm going to be getting my 'rapid run rate' to a distance of 6 miles, with a medium pack, over the next 10 months.

The idea of an RRR is that you're not jogging a marathon, but you're not sprinting 100 meters (330ft) either. You're running just above the average persons 1 mile speed, but you're doing it for a greater distance. The idea is to put your level of fitness, speed, and endurance, up to the top 10% of the population. That way your odds of outrunning an opponent WTSHTF is increased to 90%. Them be some good odds them be (look, I've got a Bristolian accent haha).
Makes sense. I'm with you on how fitness is important.
When I get my flat sorted and my finances look prettier (damn deposits, and paying rent to my girlfriends parents at the same time, nearly £1000 in total, rent, deposit, and more rent) I'm going to be rock climbing once a week (after I pick up my gear from Warrington at the end of March) and I'll be kayaking once a week as well. I also hope to start back doing MMA as well. I want to have saved enough money to start archery again. I gave my 2 recurve bows to a local church activity centre, but that's cool, because I want to go compound bow anyway.

Looks like I'll have to drop my bug out vehicle project now :'(
i used to know a guy who ran 5 miles a day every day. Super fit till he had a heart attack. theres a reason the infantry gets rid of you in your 30's your bodies knackered ith all the pt. dont do to much, the best ways little and often,too much too hard flucks your body right up and youll end up breaking or damaging ligaments, then your no use to anyone.
Thats how I am looking at it. Saving myself.

I may be joking there but I do agree that you need to have a certain level of fitness. Just not too much as mike says.
Top 10% is going to be enough for nearly every situation.

I'm a little curious how heavy peoples BOBs are, and how long they can sustain semi rapid movement for?
i've never been able to run very far,even in school, i used to get "the stitch" every time and i have flat feet, but i can keep walking on and on and on, so that will be how i bug out, if motor transport is not an option, i will walk out.
thats my plan... IF I have to bug out, vehicle first, then person drawn cart thingy on foot and walking.
dont tire yourself out to much as you'll be knackered if you have to fight.
Pages: 1 2 3