Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Sneaky rich and influential people.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sneaky rich and influential people.

Here’s a snippet worth noting on your bug out maps and worth checking out in your area.
Y’know how we have already debated the White Flight phenomena from many Brit cities mirroring what happened in the US, and the increase in the wealthier parts of society moving either way out of town to semi self-sufficient small holding or gated communities in the suburbs .

Well it appears that some of our captains of industry are thinking laterally just as we do. For many years companies have been storing their archived documents in file storage facilities, these used to be modest above ground warehouses perhaps with a bit of climate control built in. But since the early 90s they have been storing data on electronic data systems as well as paper copies. Magnetic tapes, Floppy Discs, CDRs, Flash drives, Hard drives etc have all become the normal methods of data storage and this has given the rich, powerful and influential another tool for their own use.

Most of the modern Data storage facilities for various reasons are subterranean, In Kansas USA old salt mines that cover dozens of minds of underground passages are used by banks, government agencies, data storage companies etc, but in the UK though a bit of space is available in old salt minds most data storage companies are using “ alternative” locations.

Like closed down London underground stations, former government nuclear bunkers, old BT underground facilities, sneakily dug extra tunnels accessed from the London underground like Abbey Data Storage at Bellsize Park, a big white painted structure now used as Data Storage facilities. Also the former LUL stations like THE STRAND are being rented or bought by corporations.

So why do I mention places like these and other DATA STORAGE facilities.
Well a friend who worked as a security guard for a few years told me that for some strange reason many (not all) of these facilities have not only been fitted out with temperature and humidity control systems, but also AIR filtration systems, and oddly enough some companies have built “” Admin Staff “” areas complete with toilets, kitchens, comms, cookers, seating and even some have camp beds. Some have locked steel cupboards that he believed (via 5 or 6th hand so totally unconfirmed) food rations, clothing, first aid kits, flashlights, long life batteries etc kept for staff in emergencies.

Dunno how your minds work but mine suggests this screams of big business making a few extra in town bolt holes to run to if something happens and they cannot get out quick enough.

Ergo I suggest those of you tasked with looking for useful locations to act as reserve BOLs may wish to do research in your area for Data storage facilities !!!

*For reference in the book “Waiting for the end of the world” by Richard Ross he comments on page 66 that enough extra secret tunnel space was created to house over 10,000 people who gained access to these shelters via LUL stations without drawing attention to themselves.

Example of quick rummage on web for info
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/b/be...index.html

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/features/d...index.html
These areas are being built for the purpose mentioned. They also need staff so they cater for them but it is of course possible to very quickly convert them for the uses you suggest. I've suggested it myself to a few people building these. It doesn't take many mods to make them adaptable.
(20 February 2012, 22:36)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]These areas are being built for the purpose mentioned. They also need staff so they cater for them but it is of course possible to very quickly convert them for the uses you suggest. I've suggested it myself to a few people building these. It doesn't take many mods to make them adaptable.

Equally it would not take much for a modestly weathy prepper to rent a cubicle or storage room in one of these places possibly, I've heard of one guy in the south who has made himself a cache / temp BOL in one of these 24 / 7 U store facilities, he spent the night their last winter after the snow stopped the traffic.
thanks nr something that had crossed my mind but not put much thought into.
excellent idea definetly worth researching.
I'm also led to believe that many corporate and up market residential underground car parks are not always what you think they are, some have strangelt heavy single person doors highly secured that are "" electrical cupboards" and "cleaners cupboards" but often the staff dont have keys for them.

I looked up Londons bellsize tube station on google earth its very good, just on the surface a round white painted old LUL building, with a single door just round the corner, Most Londoners would not give it a second glance but on some images you can make out the vent louvres look like the blast overpresure spring loaded type, and theres a hd steel double door in the carpark tween two chimneys Hmmmm
Lets not forget many of the 50s and 60s built GPO (as they were) X automated telephone exchanges were built with safe rooms, bunks, supplies and emergency power supplies for engineers to keep important phone lines operations after a nuclear attack.
(20 February 2012, 22:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Equally it would not take much for a modestly weathy prepper to rent a cubicle or storage room in one of these places possibly, I've heard of one guy in the south who has made himself a cache / temp BOL in one of these 24 / 7 U store facilities, he spent the night their last winter after the snow stopped the traffic.
That is OK until the owner seals off the building and raids all the storage boxes.

OR more likely in this country

Plod raids them all and you have to go in and prove everything is yours.

I'd go for a small firm with half a dozen storage areas, £20 pw, seems the going rate for a 40ft container out in a farmers yard.

(21 February 2012, 11:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go for a small firm with half a dozen storage areas, £20 pw, seems the going rate for a 40ft container out in a farmers yard.

Couldnt agree more, small low key, grey and uninteresting as possible, and preferably not in the unit next door to those nice Asian gentlemen collecting 1 ton bags of fertiliser!!!
you must have a fortune in books NR! just went on Amazon and searched "waiting for the end of the world" by Richard Ross- £70.95 new and £23.83 used.
(21 February 2012, 12:25)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]you must have a fortune in books NR! just went on Amazon and searched "waiting for the end of the world" by Richard Ross- £70.95 new and £23.83 used.

Ferkin hell i was given this book by another prepper !!!!!!
Often books that go out of print rise in price. This is due to the demand. If you desire a book that is hard to find Amazon will search throughout the World for it. Their search service of course, costs them a great deal of money, hence the high price. Many years ago I dealt in books as a hobby and its very time consuming. Kenneth Eames.