Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 3 Mile Run, pt2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, it's just gone 9am and I've come back from another 3 mile run. This is how it went, and what I learned.

Time 8:30am

Temperature: 3 degrees at start of run.

Clothing: Shorts, tshirt (short sleeve), beanie hat, boxers, and new trail running shoes.

Kit: Half GHB, total weight, 4.5kg

Run distance: 3miles

Okay, this is a fun one......kind of.

After talking with loads of people throughout Friday and Saturday, I thought long and hard about what everyone said. So, me being me, I set up off on my normal run.....but this time I had most of my GHB with me. DAMN is water heavy after that first mile. It wasn't like pumping out big squats, but because I didn't want to put on the waist strap, the straps were exerting their weight over the length of my upper body. It was weird, because they seemed to constrict my ribs a little, which meant that once I got a reasonable distance into the run and my breathing got heavier, I was under pressure when breathing. This made it difficult to get a full breath of air! Now that is an awful feeling!

The above lack of breath meant that I ended up walking much more than I expected. The run was still done in a relatively short time, however, I did walk 5 times!!! Not for much each time. Total walking distance was less than half a mile though.

The run also taught me something else that I had forgotten. When you have new shoes, wear them in slowly. Prefereably with walking. The Vibram 5 finger shoes I've been wearing these past few days are awesome, but I've had a new pair of trail running shoes arrive, so I thought.....damn right I'm wearing them for my run. Well, the reason it's taken so long to write this post is because I needed to clean up the blood off the back of my heels, and disinfect it all. Next time I'm wearing any shoes, I'll have to have friction strips on the back of my feet. Yes that's right, both feet! They had a pretty strip of blood down the back, and now my new shoes have blood down the back of them as well.

But all in all, a good run. Some very valuable information taught and shared.

Conclusion of my running ability; fitness is getting better, and I can still out run the average person on the street while carrying most of my GHB.

Brief for next run:
Keep the bag on, maybe increase the amount of weight, and run for more distance than last time (less walking).
Why don't you follow a program of intervals? I have a great one for 5K if you want me to send it to you. I used it to train for a 10K race a while ago and dip into it if I haven't been running for a while.
(26 February 2012, 20:10)Sphinx Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you follow a program of intervals? I have a great one for 5K if you want me to send it to you. I used it to train for a 10K race a while ago and dip into it if I haven't been running for a while.

Thanks for the offer mate. Would be up for it, but used to run all the time anyway, so it's really just a matter of working back up to my previous level. I've found running until I need to puke is a pretty effective system so far haha.

I'm kidding, but in a totally serious way, thanks for the offer mate.