Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bugging out??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
OK so, i've got 5 BOL's in mind but here's the point, i dont OWN any of them, they are all empty,abandoned,deserted houses/cottages/bungalow/farmhouse type places but apart from breaking in and changing the locks,i cant get access to them or secure them for myself, so there is no point in me setting them up as storage for spare clothing,spare food,water,tools etc. in case the owners come along-remember ALL property is owned by someone,even if their not living there and even if(as in a lot of cases)they are not registered with Land Registry. i suppose if its an emergency situation-mobs burning and looting houses, not certain that will happen in a rural,farming area but-then i will have to get out fast and just take what i can carry, which wont leave me much and i will be as bad off as those doing the looting. so i suppose(unless the worst happens) i am better of bugging in unless i can actually buy a "retreat", which wont happen until i win the lottery! just a theoretical question really as i've already decided to bug in unless the house gets bombed/demolished/ramraided etc.
Many (I'd say most) of us in the UK are in a similar situation.
We're bugging in because we can’t afford a fixed retreat far away from the masses.
However like yourself it's advisable to have a few ideas in mind just in case you have to abandon your home.

Running around with a backpack for the rest of your life is fine if you accept the rest of your life being measured in days.
I'm in the same boat B.P. so don't worry.
Bug in 1st option but it depends on the scenario I.E. stay put untill its too dangerous to stay.
My bols are the same, I have multiple safe areas but they technicaly belong to somebody else AND I would'nt put caches nearby in case they're found and destroyed or used.
I have a BOL in Wales. It's a farm owned by a friend and it's in the middle of nowhere, as long as the bridges aren't down I can get there in a day walking, if they are then I have to try and walk around the coast or risk trying to pilot a boat across Severn.
This gives me an idea. Houses will be main targets. Any house. They can also be hard to defend.

Now, an industrial unit would be different. Usually fortified to a higher degree, less access points and can be less conspicuous. Cheap to rent if needed, and if you find something like an old bank, or Police station you get secure storage that even fire wont destroy.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Steve
I know a guy that rents one of these ubiquitous factory units you see on industrial estates right across the country, half brick half steel walls, one large double goods door, one pedestrian entrance, one window. inside in a corner is a washing up area / kitchen space, toilet and a bit of an office. Thise guy keeps his classic cars in one, but he also keeps a 12 foot by 30 ft mobile home in one where he frequently stays for a few weeks at a time. Another lad I know used to live term time in a isocontainered portacabin.
(6 March 2012, 00:23)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the same boat B.P. so don't worry.
Bug in 1st option but it depends on the scenario I.E. stay put untill its too dangerous to stay.
My bols are the same, I have multiple safe areas but they technicaly belong to somebody else AND I would'nt put caches nearby in case they're found and destroyed or used.

yeah Mike, i guess if there is a large die off, then that changes the options and i can probably take over 1 of the 5 without worrying about the owner turning up, i dont want to leave caches for the same reason you said.
Be careful of industrial units, the common way to burgle them is through the roof thereby bypassing virtualy all the security, you can then casualy walk out of a fire exit. The roof has very little or no protection from attack from people or large thrown objects.
The roof is usualy aluminium with breakable plastic skylights. I used to be a supervisor in a warehouse so thats how I know by the way, before some smart ar*e thinks I'm a burglar.Big Grin
So possibly a warehouse with an internal safe room steel container may suffice.
Bugging in until I'm forced out by fire pretty much.

I have locations to go to, but they're not mine. Just have to hope no one is at home Wink
I'm gone the first sign of trouble, taking as much stuff with me as I can, remote camp site on route to BOL, see how things go before moving on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6