Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Basha Help Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Everyone

As you all knew, this topic was going to come up with me some time or another.

In my quest for creating an ultra light bug out bag, the issue of replacing a tent for a basha has come up.

Right, here's where it gets fun.....HELP.

I have no experience with basha camping. So really I'm looking for an example of what, where, how much, how big, how often, how to maintain, and things like that.

I'm checking a lot of websites, but there's nothing like first hand experience to give a more accurate view.

This is something I hope to test towards the middle of next month. So getting an idea of the right size would be hugely helpful.
That's cool NR. Thanks mate.

How about personal experiences? Have you tried them out?

I've been giving one of these some thought.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/32123v-2-pe...-camo.html

I use my fishing brolley and some disposable emergency shelters at the moment!
i have one in my bob not as good as a tent but i have grown up with them so i don't mind they can be use meny different ways with paracord and bungees and sticks buy two and have a play around with them it can be fun
(11 March 2012, 23:32)grumpy old man Wrote: [ -> ]i have one in my bob not as good as a tent but i have grown up with them so i don't mind they can be use meny different ways with paracord and bungees and sticks buy two and have a play around with them it can be fun

Looks good, but there are some pretty reasonable 1 man tents at the same weight.

The reason I'm thinking of going into a basha system is to save weight. That's the only reason I'm thinking this way.

http://www.military1st.co.uk/ma100-pro-f...-camo.html is the style basha I'm looking at.

The difference in the weight is significant in proportion. The tent is 1.7kg, while the basha is 0.5kg, which is less than a 3rd the weight. I believe bugging out will need to be a rapid process, that will last about 2 weeks. Which is why I'm cutting down my kits weight as much as possible.
In the army all we used was a poncho with the hood tied off in the middle, tied to four likely trees at the coners or something similar.
very low profile, enables you to roll out and fight if attacked etc... BUT not to clever if its windy or raining sideways as it is prone to do.
Also its quite a hardship for most people if your not expecting to be bumped in the night etc complete pain in the arse if your lanky too as yoiur feet or head sticks out in the rain...
(12 March 2012, 00:15)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]In the army all we used was a poncho with the hood tied off in the middle, tied to four likely trees at the coners or something similar.
very low profile, enables you to roll out and fight if attacked etc... BUT not to clever if its windy or raining sideways as it is prone to do.
Also its quite a hardship for most people if your not expecting to be bumped in the night etc complete pain in the arse if your lanky too as yoiur feet or head sticks out in the rain...

That's a fair point.

I think I'll be using a basha with a bivi, to keep the concerns of ground water out of my mind. But the idea is to make it quick in and out.

I have a couple of ponchos in my BOB, complete with tent pegs. However, a proper basha would still be a worthy item to learn to use. Mainly, I'm wanting one so that I have something to use incase I'm crap with the ponchos haha. But also, because when bugging out, I'd like something slightly more permenant that a poncho. More hard wearing, that kind of thing.
I fleetingly toyed with the idea of bivi bags but then thought of trying to get out in a rush... and ending up like a caterpiller more than likely I think, anybody trying to attack would probably die laughing at me trying to get in or out of a bivi bag...
(12 March 2012, 00:29)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]I fleetingly toyed with the idea of bivi bags but then thought of trying to get out in a rush... and ending up like a caterpiller more than likely I think, anybody trying to attack would probably die laughing at me trying to get in or out of a bivi bag...

Totally understand that. I was thinking the same thing. But I'll be fitting my bivi with the same zips my snowboarding stuff has. It's 99% waterproof (I think it's 100%, but the companies won't dare brand it as 100%, just in case of a bad zip), which will give me the same access as a sleeping bag.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, so I'll make another thread on my bug out sleeping items, and why. Maybe that will give you an idea and create good discussion on that.
Pages: 1 2 3