Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mini Cache Systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone.

This is a quick little note on something I totally forgot about, that really is a bit weird of me.

I have an almost bountiful supply of plastic tubs. Because I'm in the gym or doing some other physical activity every day, I need to suppliment my diet with extra protein. As a result, I have lots of whey protein powder. The protein comes in fairly decent sized plastic tubs. These are not as thick as the typical Blue Barrel style tubs. Check out Holland and Barratt and ask for whey protein to get an idea what I mean about the tubs.

Those little beauties are going to be my new mini cache system. Granted they're not going to be fit any where near as much stuff as a normal Blue Barrel, but they'll fit a nice bit of kit. Looking at the tub that I finished today, I could get a couple of couple of set of thermals in it, as well as a handful of sachets of meal replacement powder.

The plastic won't break down for a good 20 years, which gives me a pretty small, and cost effective cache.

I'm thinking, 2 large tubs and 1 smaller tub = 1 cache.
First tub is food and a filtration straw, as well as toothpaste, toothbrush, and some first aid gear.
Second tub is clothing/shoes.
The smaller tub will be full of compressed toilet roll and soap bars.

Just thought the idea of having those tubs readily available was a resource I was overlooking.

If you go into any hardcore bodybuilding gyms, ask them if you can have their empty protein tubs. Say your kid needs them for a school project or something.
Just check they are not marked as biodegradable as they will degrade around you if that is the case. The beauty of these small containers is you can bury them all over the place, including up the trunks of larger tress or in evergreen bushes. Just make sure they are sealed tight. I usually sealmine by wrapping duct tape around the lid.
I'm thinking of ductaping then black-bagging them. The ones I have are mostly white, so the bag is to hide it better.