Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Breed your own mealworms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With SD banging on about eating bugs and as I'm getting some chooks this weekend, I thought I'd get some mealworms for them as they do like them.
They seem relitively easy to rear and I'll be giving it a go when I find a bit of space to do it in.
They fit the protein and fat requirements quite nicely and are edible by humans and are classed as a delicasy in some parts.
Though I probably wouldnt want to eat live wigglers, they may be more pallatable dried and squished into powder and sprinkled over what food you manage to scavange.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbir...worms.aspx
Yummy.
I bought a coop and built a run but I have had a change of mind as to where the run is placed, so delay on getting chickens, I cleared a better larger area in my garden to build it, so soon I will have mine up and running.

Keep the egg shell wash it a clean it then crush it and store it, I can't offer how long it stores for as I wanted to do this test when I get the fresh eggs from my chickens.
I was a bit lucky in the coop regard, as I had a large multi story rabbit hutch that the damn rabbits never would go in...
Thats why Mr fox eat them...
So I collected loads of pallets, dismantled them with the aid of my kids and chopped and changed the rabbit huttch into a more suitable coop.
I also managed to scavange some 6 foot tall by 12 foot wire fencing panels (dont ask) so I've made a covered run with those.
They'll also be locked up every night safe in their coop.
The hen welfare trust does ex battery chickens, which I'm getting this weekend, four to start, they dont even charge for them but get an average donation of £3-£4 per chuck.
the shells can be crushed and refed the chickens with their food for calcium for the shells to form, so that saves on buying oyster shells for calcium, although if you do buy the comercial feed, some of this has it in already.
I'm trying to get mine straight onto the household waste food as aparently they'll eat almost anything so as we generaly do have food waste that'll suplement their feed and make it better for them and cheaper for me.
one word of warning dont feed them raw potatoes as they are aparently poisonous, cooked are fine though and obviously not chicken scraps.
I also make my own grit by hard labour hammering rocks to make the grit, saves me loads of dosh just takes up time and with me trying to start my mealworm farm as well, that should save even more.
How to Feed Eggshells to Laying Hens for Calcium

Ground shells of marine animals such as oysters are the best source of calcium. Poultry eggshells is next to best. Aragonite and common limestone are also suitable sources of calcium. Eggshells that are thin and crack easily or are rough like sandpaper may be indications that the hen needs supplemental calcium.

I was thinking of asking local cafe's if I provided them with a tub I could have their egg shells...
Maybe they will maybe they wont, I'll get some tubs and ask.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5433901_feed-egg...lcium.html

The rocks they put down on building sites to stop them getting muddy are limestone I believe.
how to check if that bit of rocks limestone...
http://www.minimegeology.com/home/mgeo/p...iment.html