Survival UK Forums

Full Version: bedtime for the chooks 8.30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just been outside to put the chooks to bed and there were only two resisting going to bed, the other four had gone to bed by themselves and were cuddling up nicely inside the coop!!
The two resisters had to be picked up with a little resistance flapping but I showed them who was boss with a stroke and cuddle before bed!!
they're making the contented chook noises, so looks like they've settled in well.
I got in total six eggs today, I dont know if thats a one off so to say but we'll see.
We used one in a cake today and it was a double yolker!!
Mind one of the others was more torpedo shaped!!
Its amazing when you compared them to a few shop bought ones we still had in they're all weird and wonderful shapes and sizes, though all on the large side, whilst the shop bought ones were all uniform and the same small size and colour.
I'll do a bit of worm hunting this week and give them a treat again, they do like the worms!!
I'm doing a few jobs for someone this week but when I've finished which will probably be thursday, I'll take a few pics and attempt to post them.
OOOH, your'e such a softie Big Grin Am glad it is going well for you. TL
Even chooks need a cuddle every now and then!!Big Grin
Keep us informed Mike. It reminds me of when we kept chickens during WW2. If I had a garden I would keep them and they can be very friendly if, as you are doing, giving them a cuddle. When feeding time comes they will follow you to their food dish and fuss around you. I used to watch their antics, amazing creatures. Kenneth Eames.
Ones a bit under the weather this morning...
Its not being picked on but its quiet.
I took it out of the coop and it was stumbling a bit like it had aching joints... the weather is colder though.
I gave it some food and such and water but its not interested for now.
It still seems alert and "with it" though, but I'll leave it quiet for now and if it's still the same later on today I might put it in a box and bring it in for a while to keep an eye on it.
These chooks seem to be getting a lot of attention. Perhaps we need a webcam so we can all join in.
The poorly chooks back to normal, either a bad bug it eat yesterday or it doesnt like cold mornings... I've got three eggs this afternoon so far, shells are a bit thin so thats more calcium needed.
Aww cute, one was trying to push the egg under its feathers to hatch it...Mind when I put some more food in it got right back off again.
Now I now why people use incubators or broody chooks to hatch...
Chookcam? maybe I might try that.
Also if anybody's got any advice to give about chooks, sling it my way please any and all advice greatly apreciated.
have you checked this one out Mike?? "Keeping poultry & rabbits on scraps" by claude goodchild & alan thompson, a penguin handbook isbn 978-0-141-03862-9 price £6.99 first issued in 1941, reissued in 1949 reprinted in 2008.
Cheers for that B.P. thats the kind of thing I'm looking for.Big Grin
Hey, bargain or what... just got a used copy with free delivery on amazon for £2.79.!!!
It takes 3-5 days for the free delivery, but for £2.79 I dont mind!!!
(2 April 2012, 14:19)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers for that B.P. thats the kind of thing I'm looking for.Big Grin
Hey, bargain or what... just got a used copy with free delivery on amazon for £2.79.!!!
It takes 3-5 days for the free delivery, but for £2.79 I dont mind!!!

thats great Mike, i got my copy before we even thought about getting a computer and had to order it through a book shop, so you definitely got a good deal.
Pages: 1 2