Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 2 Crucial items for the BOB or EDC (or both)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

This quite note is simply the result of playing around while making bread and I ended up realising a couple of items I should probably remind everyone about.

Okay, first is one I've spoken about before, the beautiful nail clippers. Not only are they great fun for firing sparks off at people from your flint, but they area also good for cutting nails, and most clippers have a really good file and a nail scraper. Both of these are useful as a blade sharpener, or something like that. If you file down the nail scraper, it makes a pretty good screwdriver. Most people have probably overlooked this. But I'd say about 40-45% of people have probably remembered this one item.

Next up is the beauty that I needed while making the bread. While splitting pallets, I got me a splinter. I remembered a story about a guy on a work-site that apparently had a splinter and didn't report it in the injury log book (at a previous job, landscaping) and got an infection through the splinter. He ended up losing his hand (apparently). So a good pair of tweezers is a MUST for BOB's, if not a EDC item! Why not go wild and have one for each? Tweezers are also good for ticks and things like that. They are highly recommended by Scythe13!!! (that's me) haha

Another item I'd recommend, but not necessarily essential, if a magnifying glass. I have one on my keyring as part of a compass, thermomiter, mag-glass, and mini ruler thing/keyring. But they're awesome for taking out splinters!

Oh, and a pair of scissors, because long hair can get in the way if you're not used to it.
in your survival tin you should have a pin ?
that's all you need for the splinter and you dead on about the nail cutters
i have ingrowing toe nails(sorry) but the hurt unless i cut them so in the kit goes my i learnt that along time ago ?
but every ones nails grow and after time will start to hurt and by then it's too late to pack a pair
All are already in my pack.

I knew a guy that got a splinter and left it and he died from the infection. He was a builder and got them all the time. This one obviously had something on it.

I also have a eye wash kit. Eye wash cup and some sterilised water. Always handy for chips from your flint for one.
I added a simple tooth repair kit to my bag after losing a filling over Christmas.
Just needed a little hot water to make up the "filling". Lasted for a fortnight with no problem.
having some sort of "medical kit" in your pack makes sense.