Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The DD Camping Hammock opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The DD Camping Hammock form the Bushcraft Shop.
Anyone got one?

I'm just about to retire my old "string vest" hammock and was looking at this one as a replacement.
(25 April 2012, 13:39)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]The DD Camping Hammock form the Bushcraft Shop.
Anyone got one?

I'm just about to retire my old "string vest" hammock and was looking at this one as a replacement.

I bought the travel hammock the other day. Used it last weekend. Great piece of kit. Don't bother with the whoopie slings though, better off to go to a climbing store and get a couple of webbing straps etc.

Also, I bought mine direct from DD - great customer service.
(25 April 2012, 14:50)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]I bought the travel hammock the other day. Used it last weekend. Great piece of kit. Don't bother with the whoopie slings though, better off to go to a climbing store and get a couple of webbing straps etc.

Also, I bought mine direct from DD - great customer service.

pm'ing you.
Some people can comfortably sleep in a hammock, others can't. It would be worth having some insulation for the base of the hammock as it could get mighty cold, especially with windchill in this area.

Another thing about the hammock, is how perceptive would you be to intrusive movement around your camp. How quickly could you respond to any threat. What happens if there is nowhere to tie the hammock to? Is it worth carrying the weight if it is not 100% usable? is it not just a bivibag that ties at the ends to a support?

I did have one. set it up but never used it. Passed it on to another prepper.

I.M.O. only :-) TL
I've used one for more years than I care to mention.
As I used to light camp a lot, a hammock and tarp was all i carried for tentage.
I've been rousted by game keepers and even the police before now always from a deep, deep, sleep (so damn comfie was my old string sling) and you are right. If they can get to you you're toast. Same for a tent though. At least I've got semi good visibility under the tarp.

Anyway, that was before I got a dog. . . . .
He heard them coming every time.
Strangely no one sneaked up on me after that, they just call out 'politely'.

Good Boy!!!!!!!!!!! Have a bisquit.