Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Happy Days
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right, so the wife has been 'on-board' with me prepping - mainly because I don't give her a choice (I'm the boss, honest) - so I've been allowed to purchase certain things that she may not think necessary, but can see some sense behind (lots of tins of food, weapons, etc etc)

She's been having the same recurring EOTW dream for the last year, black clouds or some shit. She obviously had the same dream last night (after watching Contagion) so as soon as I got to work this morning there's an email sitting there from her...

She's been looking at mountain house freeze dried food, and thinks we should get some. Now I've told her that the mountain house food is a waste of money, an we could get more tins / make our own freeze dried food etc, but it's nice to finally have her look at things differently. Was very impressed - she's still googling away now looking for more gear Smile
I think that's sweet! Welcome aboard SWMBO.
Show her some of the dehydration units and so on and then show her the price differences with MREs. If she is willing to spend on those she is must be willing to look at other areas. You have converted her.
(26 April 2012, 12:46)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Show her some of the dehydration units and so on and then show her the price differences with MREs. If she is willing to spend on those she is must be willing to look at other areas. You have converted her.

We've got a dehydrator - she normally moans when I set it up in the kitchen. Maybe I'll be able to get her using it now instead (that means she can wash the bloody thing afterwards)

Oh, and apparently her dream wasn't the black clouds one it was, in her words: "a solar flare knocked out the grid". Looks like she's been secretly listening to me ramble on rather than doing what it looks like she's doing, and staring at the TV intently trying to ignore me Big Grin
That's so cool mate!!!

Like I said before, it's all coming together for you. Well happy for you mate. Guess she'll be coming to the Bristol Meet with you to have some 'berry good fun' on the surprise wild food walk that Terry made no longer a surprise?

You should think about making a smoke room (not for cigars, although that would be good). I mean for making jerky and that kind of thing.
(26 April 2012, 13:07)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]That's so cool mate!!!

Like I said before, it's all coming together for you. Well happy for you mate. Guess she'll be coming to the Bristol Meet with you to have some 'berry good fun' on the surprise wild food walk that Terry made no longer a surprise?

You should think about making a smoke room (not for cigars, although that would be good). I mean for making jerky and that kind of thing.

Aye, I think she'll enjoy the food walk. Little 'un will probably eat anything we manage to find, along with anything else he can get his hands on.

Yeah, I do need a smoker (unless I can use my bong?) for my meat. Been looking at some professional set-ups, but they're too easy to replicate at home to warrant buying one. Just need some piping and a few other bits, and the wood chips, and we're good to go!
(26 April 2012, 13:12)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]Aye, I think she'll enjoy the food walk. Little 'un will probably eat anything we manage to find, along with anything else he can get his hands on.

Yeah, I do need a smoker (unless I can use my bong?) for my meat. Been looking at some professional set-ups, but they're too easy to replicate at home to warrant buying one. Just need some piping and a few other bits, and the wood chips, and we're good to go!

It'll be great to have the tribe of Binary grace Bristol with their presence.

As well as a smoking room.....you could also build a Curing Room, and cure your own tobacco. I tried growing some tobacco plants and rolling my own cigars while at uni. Managed to make one reasonable cigar and 4 total failures!!! Speaking of which, I don't actually know where they are. Didn't dare smoke the good one! It's the only one I was happy to admit was me haha. Blamed the others on my mates haha.

Tobacco is really easy to grow and it's super fast growing too!!! Would probably save you some money, and it'd be a good cure for worms....so I've heard.
Tobacco is a growth crop. Excuse the pun. It will grow anywhere in the UK including the highlands of scotland. It will soon be the crop of choice in many homes as the tax increases on tobacco. An online pal of mine does it.
(27 April 2012, 15:32)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Tobacco is a growth crop. Excuse the pun. It will grow anywhere in the UK including the highlands of scotland. It will soon be the crop of choice in many homes as the tax increases on tobacco. An online pal of mine does it.

It won't grow well in the UK climate will it? I grew mine indoors at uni, so my data on these is limited to hot rooms with small tubs of water, open, on the radiator to increase humidity.
A guy in Aberdeen grows it in his greenhouse but says it grows outside albeit slowly. He sows it all over the place on his travels.
Pages: 1 2