Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Off to the woods for the weekend.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi Everyone.

On a recent thread g79 made a basic challenge, to survive 2 says in the woods, getting my own food and water.

This is an awesome challenge! One that I'd recommend everyone try...but after they are confident they can do it, and they have done similar things before. Also, an emergency pack of food would be wise. I'm taking some emergency food, and packet of Altoids (ask WnC why I'm currently addicted to Altoids mints if you need to know why they're with me). I'll also have 1 litre of water, but that's for emergencies only.

This challenge will be from today (around 4pm) until midday Sunday, because I need to do some paperwork for Monday.

Right now I'm charging my phones for pictures and I look forward to posting everything because my new phone can become a wifi hotspot, so if there's signal, I can send off my iphone, if there's not, then I can still send from my iphone via the wifi hotspot of my new phone! That's pretty cool!!!

Once phones are charged, It's up and off into the woods.

I won't be carrying a machette because I'll be walking through a city.

Technically g79 said I had to do everything without being seen, but living in a city makes that impossible, so I'm ignoring that part of the challenge. The only way I could live for 48 hours and not be seen is up on my roof, which doesn't have trees and stuff for food (although it is getting planted up slowly).

Any advice, ideas, tips, negative criticisms, or whatever, are welcomed with a smile. If you do want to say something, I'll have wifi and FreeLoaders available to keep my phones charged, but I'm not risking the chance of keeping them charged with the weather the way it is right now.

Wish me luck (please note that bad luck is also a kind of luck).
You have missed the point of the challenge completely.

What I suggested was that you go out and find food for yourself for 1 day.After doing this you'll see that it isn't as easy as you think.try doing it for the rest of your life,as you'd need to in the world you look forward to.
(27 April 2012, 13:28)g79 Wrote: [ -> ]You have missed the point of the challenge completely.

What I suggested was that you go out and find food for yourself for 1 day.After doing this you'll see that it isn't as easy as you think.try doing it for the rest of your life,as you'd need to in the world you look forward to.

I've not missed the point. I'm just extending it for the weekend.
Having said that, it's the scenario that everyone on here possibly faces at some point.

Anyway, what if I do it and it's shockingly easy? I highly doubt it will be simple at all!!! But if it's a relatively easy task, then that is a totally new revolation! Imagine if it was really simple to do, that would be awesome.

Since there are people out there that do it, I guess this is going to be a HUGE step towards learning to do it.

Also, embracing the storm ahead is going to keep my psychological health and mental capabiliities much better than fearing it. If you genuinely accept it will happen, wouldn't it be better to take it on full force instead of fearing it. As well all know, fear can often paralyse people.

Better to face my fear and know what to expect, than fear it and not know what it is I'm actually scared of.
Hoiw you going to purify water?
(27 April 2012, 14:05)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Hoiw you going to purify water?

Steam collection from a fire, then condensation. I have water purifiers if need be. But I want to try collecting steam and seeing how that goes.
Personally I think in order to challenge someone to do something, you should do it too. Then compare notes at the end. You can't fob it off by saying "Oh, I've done it before..." either. If you challenge someone to do it, then show us you can do it too.

I could challenge you to go all Bear Grylls and sleep inside a sheep, but unless I'm going to do it an compare the difference in methods and the successes etc it's pointless.

I think you'll be surprised, food is plentiful outside if you know what you're looking for. Nuts, fruit, plants etc. If you're heading to a woodland you'll be well fed. Got any snares? If you're going near a river then take a net (it's illegal, so don't get caught) or knock up a hobo fishing rod. Air rifle? Pigeons for the taking.

If the missus would let me vanish into the woods for a night or two then I'd be up for this one, but having just got back from something similar then I'm on lockdown for the next 3 weekends Sad

I'm confident you'll find a decent amount of grub to keep you going chap.
At no point was it mentioned about going into the woods.
Let me just clarify the challenge and the reasoning behind it for those who are hard of thinking and those who have a chip on the shoulder.

The challenge :-

Go outside NOW and find food for a meal,then when you have found enough food to feed you for one meal ,find enough to feed yourself for a day,then enough for three meals a day for each member in your party.

The reasoning:-

A reality check for the people who think it's easy.
One of the most time consuming and hardest things to do is find sufficient food to feed a person daily and keep healthy and fit.
Forget about building fortresses and running to to countryside to live off the land,whilst defending scores of people,you'll be spending all day hungry and looking for food.

To those who think they can do it ,best of luck.
(27 April 2012, 14:30)g79 Wrote: [ -> ]At no point was it mentioned about going into the woods.
Let me just clarify the challenge and the reasoning behind it for those who are hard of thinking and those who have a chip on the shoulder.

The challenge :-

Go outside NOW and find food for a meal,then when you have found enough food to feed you for one meal ,find enough to feed yourself for a day,then enough for three meals a day for each member in your party.

One of the most time consuming and hardest things to do is find sufficient food to feed a person daily and keep healthy and fit.
Forget about building fortresses and running to to countryside to live off the land,whilst defending scores of people,you'll be spending all day hungry and looking for food.

You didn't mention going into the woods to source food, you are correct. BUT, that's the best source of free food. Unless you're going through the bins, or shoplifting?

I'm not sure anyone here is mentally deficient, as you imply, or "has a chip on their shoulder". The mere fact that we are all here show's that we think about the "bigger picture" and are more aware than most...

I presume that you'll be doing the same so we can compare the reports from yourself and Scythe13?

(27 April 2012, 14:30)g79 Wrote: [ -> ]The challenge :-

If that's the challenge, then it's really easy. We used to go Skip Hopping at unit. We'd raid the bins out the back of Somerfield where they'd throw away all the bread and cake they didn't sell. There were 7 of us (the whole corridor) and we feasted like kings! Considering there were other supermarkets around (Co-Op, and Spar as well) then that challenge would be really simple. Anyone with the guts to try something and not get caught would be really surprised. On that note, I could just knock over someone 'by accident' who's just come out of Asda, and when their bag hits the floor, just grab something out of it and do a runner.

The reason I'm going out into the woods is because it's going to be much harder than bin hopping!

Number of people in my group.....ONE! Number of meals a day I need......ONE....that lasts all day haha.
yeah, we do a lot of "Skip Diving" around here too, mainly the domestic/builders type, the trouble with Supermarket skips around here is their all behind locked gates.......bummer!! come SHTF not a problem, but NOW its a problem.Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4