Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Rucksack disaster, advice sought plez
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First my string hammock dies, now one of the main straps has ripped out on my rucksack.

This is not my month!SadSad

So, Webtex Moray bags, 35 litres. Opinions please.Rolleyes

Also anyone had dealings with polmil based in Leicester?
Just want to know how reliable they are.

Thanks

Nice NI rucksack. Look on their website at the full range of rucksacks. V.good prices. A couple of us sampled a different suppliers, similar range & bought those canvas Norwegian unissued rucksacks a few weeks ago. Superb. No plastic buckles to snap or cordura to rip or nylon straps to shred + a lightweight detachable frame that can be used to carry utility loads.. The whole thing was no heavier than some of the non framed nylon rucks. Looks more civvy street too:-)
Lots of other variety in stock. It is good if you can view & try on before you buy, but not necessary if impractical.
Hey TL I have been thinking of getting a few of them Norwegian unissued rucksacks, have you by any chance ever tried the Swedish type (pic below) I found these to be the most comfortable rucksack I have ever worn, I even use them loaded with weights speed walking.

[Image: Swedish_m39_rucksack_used.jpg]
Thanks for the replies guys.
I prefer internal frames.
Probably going for a Berghaus Munro now as the Moray is a clone of it.
Difference £7-12
Not going to argue about that for the real thing.

Has anyone used Polmil though?????
Yes W&C, We did look at those Swedish ones and try them on. The reason I didn't plump for them is because the ones available at the supplier were a bit ropey and more importantly, they were heavier than the Norweigan ones. I reckon the Norges know a thing or two about rucks as well as the swedes. The thing about these old style rucksacks is that they are more robust AND they have probably about 100 years of development going into them. So, tried & tested is the way to go for me for essential bits of kit infrastructure. Originally we wanted modern internal frame types, but after examining the selection & weighing up many factors, we ended up with the framed Norge ones. Our choice of course.

I know cordura modern ones are used all over the world by military units and mountaineers etc - but I always temper this thinking with the fact theat the military can reissue damaged kit and expedition folk can usually find repacements if needed. Ok I accept the more expensive kit/rucksack of this type are going to be pretty robust, but you pay for that priviledge - whereas these so called OBSELET designs are cheap as chips and whats more, I can repair these out in the field more easily. I have had straps break on overloaded rucksacks before and plastic clips break, especially with age & exposure to UV radiation.

Also, just to reiterate, It was commented on by a few folk, that these old style rucksacks did not look particularily military to the modern layperson and so combined with other mil & non mil kit may help to keep a lower profile. This I am striving to achieve as time goes on. (I.M.O.)

Regards, TL.
No Paul I have never shopped with them, btw RVops are doing this you might want to wait.

You will have the option of adding side pockets.

I did not know about this ruck thanks I want one.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/index.php?main_pa...googlebase

[Image: d0418d413d2c1ffef901e61c7fd04ec7.image.248x350.jpg]
Yep, that's the beast except SimplyHike are doing it for £45.
I always travel light W&C so I won't ever need the side pockets.
Less water my BOB contents only weigh in at around 7kgs.

Yeah! Welcome to the DarkSide, Paul!

The UL BOB's are starting to be recognised as legitimate BOBs.

It would be cool if you could write up about what you have.

I'm still refining mine and the weight is pretty low. Not weighted it yet though. Would be good to see what you're carrying and see if it would be doable for anyone else on this forum. My theory is the more skills and knowledge you have, the less gear you need. Having said that, if you have loads of knowledge, there's nothing stopping you taking loads of gear.
ive been looking at getting a norweigan one ,wheres the best place to get one
Pages: 1 2