Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Best OTC medicines to buy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a vast selection of OTC medicines you can buy at your local chemist and supermarket.

The usual ones we have are;
Aspirin
Ibuproven
Cough medicines

In my eyes they all look pretty much the same but I wondered if there were any that lasted longer than the others, where more potent or even better, both?

Any recommended products?
I have a range of medicines collected. I find that the best place to buy them are the pound shops. They sell more than you would think and the full range of stuff like paracetamol, ibuprofin, aspirin, lemsip, beechams, cough syrpus as well as useful first aid kit, plasters and so on. Often it's 2 or 3 for a pound and the dates are long on them. You can't have too much of this stuff. When they are so cheap I buy indiscriminately. My preference is for ibuprofen for pain killers. I just checked a packet and the expiry date is 2016.
You should always have Paracetamol stocked for Analgesia (Pain Relief). People tend to underate Paracetamol because it is OTC, but when used 'properly' (usually QDS) as an Analgesic, it is very good and should always be used as a first-line Analgesic.

Ibuprofen (a NSAID) is also underated. The caution here is that a lot of people cannot tolerate the drug (should not be given to asthmatics) and also it should really be given after food (usually TDS) as the stomach cannot tolerate it. Remember, not only is it a analgesic, but it is also an anti-inflamatory.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are two drugs that can be used together (subject to above cautions), ie: Great to use for headaches. Often used in conjunction for post-surgery and Orthopaedic injurys or sprains.

Add to your lists an Antihistamine like Piriton - Can also be used as a sleeping tablet.
Some good info there Dana, thanks. I didn't know that paracetamol and ibuprofen could be used together.
(9 October 2011, 18:24)sc1 Wrote: [ -> ]Some good info there Dana, thanks. I didn't know that paracetamol and ibuprofen could be used together.

Yes, a lot of people dont know this. It makes me laugh when I see the the 'new' Nurofen advert that says that after years of research they have produced a Paracetamol/Ibuprofen combined tablet. Medical professionals have known of this combination for years.

Incidently, if available, you can also use Tramadol (an opiod POM) in association with Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. All three drugs are tolerant of each other and work very affectively together.
We should try and build a list of available medicines that it would be wise to have.
(9 October 2011, 23:16)sc1 Wrote: [ -> ]We should try and build a list of available medicines that it would be wise to have.

If you look on the main website page you will find an article I wrote covering Drugs and Medications which includes a list.
Dana. I've been reading the site, but missed that. Thanks.

Link for others: http://survivaluk.net/2011/10/03/drugs-and-medications/
Another medicine to consider is antibiotic cream. A small injury that becomes infected can lead to blood poisoning and death, antibiotic cream is a good means of actively fighting the infection before it becomes life-threatening. The difficulty in the UK is obtaining antibiotic creams without a prescription but it can be bought on the internet from the States without any problem, other than the cost of transport. I got a supply of triple-antibiotic cream (a blend of 3 different and complimentary antibiotics) which took about 3 weeks to arrive but I feel its an extra tool in the medical tool-box to compliment the antiseptics etc.
Brian
Sorry if I mispell any of the following. You can buy hydracortozene creames over the counter now,good for bites/rashes and inflamations be careful as it contains a mild steroid.

Anti diahorea and constipation pills will be useful when the shtf, god knows what all the tinned food will do to our guts?

Codene not a otc drug can be taken with paracetemol and ibuprofen.

Asprin can be made into a paste and applied to scar tissue/keloids to reduce size,doesnt work for everyone.
Pages: 1 2