Survival UK Forums

Full Version: adjusting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well after a bit of thought and number crunching i have finished working away from home
with the cost of living going up and that bloody diesel it is not viable to work away any more
however it is a relief in one way i am at home and can now get to work on the prepping that i have been putting off i have been making money from the coast ie shell fish etc
i found it supprising how quickly i have settled in to a routine of a bit of prepping and work (any time out in the boat and earning money aint work ) and how much of some things you need and loads of things i dont
have any one else had any chages in there life like this if so how are you handling the situation and was it forced on you or was it your choice and any advice would help

thanks b/d
i suppose in a way this sort of lifestyle was very much forced on me, due to unemployment and health issues, even when i was working it was always on low pay..the type of work these days that pays the minimum wage.... i've always been on what you might call the fringes of society having been a biker for most of my life...so being a prepper isnt that much different....still not classed as NORMALTongueBig Grin
That's cool BD!

Working near to home is a very important thing to be able to do. It's certainly on my 'to do' list.

The area you're based in is great for sea based working!

How have you found your current standard of living? Has it changed yet? If so, has it improved in some areas and lessened in others? I'm thinking it would damage the social aspect of work, but benefit your homelife and prepping time.
well changed money wise a good bit i thought until i did the maths and not that much worse off
and it is absolutely bliss wakeing up in my own bed every morning and not being on tender hooks every time im away in case something happens
didnt realise how much i had missed doing my own thing mind set is a lot better and relaxed lol visiting old haunts to see how much areas have changed
and working from a boat again is great and the mackeral are starting to show Smile

b/d
I used to commute from Portsmouth to just inside the dreaded M25 everyday. That sucked. So I moved up there... that sucked to... too close to London, too many people, and traffic from hell. I was living in Epsom, which was voted top place to live in the UK while I was there. But I couldn't wait to get back to the South coast. So I am now happily living by the sea again, earning half what I did four years ago, but in a job I enjoy, and with colleagues who don't all drive convertible BMWs. And I'm all the happier for it... by a LOOONG way.
Getting knocked off my motorbike and having to have my skeleton rebuilt was one of the better things to have happened to me funnily enough. It sucked for a year, and then everything fell into place.
My wife used to commute from Portsmouth to Reading everyday for a BBC job... job was good but the commute wasn't worth it. She works 7 miles away now, and still earns way more than me... which doesn't take much.
So I'm all for downsizing, and working close to home. Definitely.
We lived in Teesside for much of our married lives and hated the overcrowding, crime, pollution, no greenery, constant never ending traffic noise, then the place started to fail economically and the town centres became wastelands of empty shops and the market places were just always full of troublesome asylum seekers and gangs of chavs n druggies, We eventually move out into rural Co Durham because its quiet, clean, low crime, succesful schools, no gangs, plenty of greenery and by pure good luck its also one of the cheapest places in the UK to buy a house. EG a nice fully modernised 2 bedroom terrace only 100 yards from my house has just sold for £55K.
Teesside like London, Birmingham etc are no go areas these days for my family.
Anyone here go to or near a town called Selsey, West Sussex?
(15 May 2012, 09:58)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone here go to or near a town called Selsey, West Sussex?

I live in Southampton, which is just down the road.

Tonka is closer though!
(15 May 2012, 09:58)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone here go to or near a town called Selsey, West Sussex?
Yeah I know Selsey, I used to live bang on the Hampshire Sussex border. It's very windy there... it gets a lot of tornadoes... well by UK standards anyway. Why?
well with every thing going on looks like i got out of the rat race just in time prepping hard over next few weeks well up to the time the euro will collapse

b/d
Pages: 1 2