Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Solar Showers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For anyone interested in Solar Showers, Lidl are selling RockTrail Solar Showers for £3.99. 20L and three hours sun for a warm shower.

Everyone knows a shower makes you feel much, much better. Not as hot as heating water but uses none of your valuable fuel.[/code]
There's a lidl's near us I think I'm going to pay a visit tomorrow that's ultra cheap
Not showing down my way.
I've got a Lidl near me. Guess where I'm off to soon?! Haha that's right, the gym. But I'll pop into Lidl on the way.
All of the Lidls near me have sold out of these, I'll have to rely on the internet if I want one of these for cheap Smile
I'm going to pop by lidl for that. If they have any in stock though, I'll be as surprised as goose that a very meek person dared say boo to.
I got one. They had a few in stock. I am indeed surprised. Thanks for the tip off. My wife has learnt that showering in mountain waterfalls can be deceptively cold.
Solar Shower Disaster!

So after a bit of dusk mountain biking I refreshed myself with a nice solar shower. The good news is, the water warmed up really well. It wasn't just warm, it was very hot. The bad news is... it has the build quality of a napkin. It has a thin plastic handle that you oddly loop cord through to hang it. The cord tore straight through it like a machete through margarine. When I read the instruction (or destructions) I thought, it looked like the biggest design floor since milk cartons, but I thought I’d do it how it says and try it. That was a mistake.

If I had only half filled it, it would have just about taken the weight, but two of us were showering, so I filled it nearly full.
So I punched holes all through the top of the remaining area beneath the torn handle and threaded the cord through them, so the weight is now spread between 12 points rather than 2. But even now, it is only just strong enough.

So if you want to use it for camping let alone survival they really need a bit of work done on them first. Wrapping and fastening the top of the bag around a tube and passing the cord through that would probably work best.

I enjoyed my evening warm shower though.
OK. Mine looks OK but I agree it is not the most robust.

Found a new one, didn't buy it though, A Galert one from Charlies, at £4.99. A pound more.

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/
I think the Lidl one is fine for the coins, if you don't mind spending 10 minutes with cable ties and a plastic tube to beef it up. I suspect most of those suffer from a similar weakness. It got very hot pretty quick though.
Pages: 1 2