Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Anyone dropped SKY for Freeview etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone given up on Sky TV and gone over to Freeview or another alternative, Being almost bedridden and housebound I'm stuck watch TV for far longer than is good for me, But the adverts every 10 minutes and often lasting up to dseven minutes is driving me insane and I just cannot see why I am paying good money just to be force fed trailers and adverts for an average of 28 minutes in every sodding, bloody hour.
(18 June 2012, 13:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone given up on Sky TV and gone over to Freeview or another alternative, Being almost bedridden and housebound I'm stuck watch TV for far longer than is good for me, But the adverts every 10 minutes and often lasting up to dseven minutes is driving me insane and I just cannot see why I am paying good money just to be force fed trailers and adverts for an average of 28 minutes in every sodding, bloody hour.

was watching NCIS the other day, from the start to first adverts was 5 minutes then 5 minutes of adverts!!
Don't watch telly at all because when I do the adverts seem the best part.
Have a look at Amazon's Lovefilm. It's £4.99 for the dierct streaming package and you can plug your computer into the telly. You choose what you want to watch and when. Once the finances are sorted and I'm settled in here, I intend to go this route.
(18 June 2012, 13:07)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone given up on Sky TV and gone over to Freeview or another alternative, Being almost bedridden and housebound I'm stuck watch TV for far longer than is good for me, But the adverts every 10 minutes and often lasting up to dseven minutes is driving me insane and I just cannot see why I am paying good money just to be force fed trailers and adverts for an average of 28 minutes in every sodding, bloody hour.

are u still out with a bad back mate
watch on your pc on the iplayers its free
Don't do it. Don't switch to freeview. Don't make me say I told you so in 2 months! lol. If you stick with sky, then make sure you have a sky plus box and you can pre-record everthing you wish to watch (except news) and also series link loads. Then it is easy enough to fast forward at 32x speed through the adverts. takes maybe 20 secs to do. Not too bad really. freeview is pretty dire. I know loads who didn't believe me - mainly family & friends and they ALL wanted to switch back to sky after just a few months. The best thing about freeview is their advertisng of how great it is. After that - it isn't.

Every now & again, I look into the BT service in depth. It works out v.costly for anything like the same amount of interesting programmes and thats not including any of the mass of other stuff. They can't even tell you on the phone exactly what documentary channels they have on. I think it is one channel only interspersed with social type low budget documentaries. The whole viewing choice seems to be swung towards Drama and stuff you would find on the sky entertainment channel + historical epic drama's and lots & lots of old reruns - I mean years old stuff.

AS Jackson said, using a PC is good. Problem with iplayer as far as my limited knowledge of it goes - its just BBC stuff?? I think anyway - but not sure. The choice like sky offers just isn't there. I wish there was a better alternative. If cable reached past my house, I would try that, but they aren't expanding any of the old networks - just concentrating on new build estates out of town and flat developments in the inner urban areas.

I hope your back/associated problems improve soon. You could always try a bit of HAM radio to relieve the boredom. That shouldn't involve moving around too much and could be a useful skill to pick up. Regards, TL.
freeview for the pc!!! http://www.brittv.co.uk/
(18 June 2012, 23:05)bowdrill Wrote: [ -> ]

are u still out with a bad back mate

Yup, back, leg, groin, thigh and plumbing all buggered, back to hospital on Wednesday.
any news when you might be starting to get a bit more movement? I hope to get the all clear on the 3rd. Its bad being stuck at home recovering. But least its sunny today...
And make sure you dont do anything daft when feeling a bit better, thats the voice of experiance talking Wink
Pages: 1 2