Survival UK Forums

Full Version: High Tech PaH!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was in town and came across a policeman trying to enter a car which the lady had got her self locked out of.
He had some sophisticated forced entry tool kit for cars.
Loads of wiggly bits of metal, springy leads, etc. (Nice case). No slim Jim though. He wasn't making a lot of progress (typical wooden top).
Then I realised the urgency, baby in car.
I offered to help and the now sweaty red faced officer said why not as he was thinking of smashing a window.

I carry a simple 1m piece of plastic box strapping in my EDC. That and my trusty plastic comb (don't leave home without one) got the tape through the door seal, round the door stud, and pop, we were in.

Ummm that's when it all went wrong.
20 questions from the plod about what else was in my EDC.
Now a really good tip for you all.
I have a simple laminated card with an inventory of what I carry.

Well not everything as there is a 3" lock knife in the bottom in a hidden compartment because we all know it's illegal to carry a lock knife.

It's not that I carry a lot BUT show a plod something that looks official or store bought and he's usually happy.
Thus was the case, all happy, off I trundled on my trusty scooter.

So, I looked up the toolkit he was carrying when I got home.
Found something close to it in bumpkeys.com. £99.00
Wow. £99. You can imagine, seeing as though it looked official kit issued to the plods, it probably cost twice that for them to buy.

Moral of the story, (K)eep (I)t (S)tupidly (S)imple and beware of the sweaty red faced wooden top.

So you risked arrest and expotion to official scrutiny to a plod because some silly mare had left her keys and rug rat in the care, a truly noble gesture, but a risky one. If the child had been in danger I would have done the same, but if the child was at no risk i would have kept on going.
Wow! What a cheek, but also predictable to immediately treat someone better prepared with suspiscion Sad. Lucky you were there to help!

I have locked myself out of a car before now and the AA use a similar method. I have some of that plastic strapping and made a loop on the end and lined that with a bit of rubber from a bike innertube, it helps to grip the pop up post of the lock.

I hadn't thought about a contents card for my bags ... Great idea! thanks! Smile
I have a piece of paper with the contents in for all my bags. Laminated for things like BoB and First Aid kits, just paper for boxes and carrier bags.
I'm going to do likewie, it really makes sense so that you have a checklist which can be ticked off when repacking bags and boxes. Nice one! Smile
have locked my self out of my old car once...not been daft enough to do it twice! our current car has central locking and has the gismo on the key ring so it dosent happen with this one.
prepper wise this was a bad idea to attract attention

moral wise, totally excellent, so good that you can step in and help a poor woman and her child from the stupid po-po

also great tip on the inventory card! will bear that in mind, and you've even proven its effectiveness!

great job dude Smile
i think i would have kept a low profile and told her to ring the A.A.!