Survival UK Forums

Full Version: List of battery powered appliances etc.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anybody have a survival-related list of battery powered stuff?
ie things that we can invest in now that alongside a solar powered aa battery charger or similar, we could use them pretty much indefinitely?

Obviously stuff like radios and torches, but maybe kettles? hotplates? battery powered tent heater?
Would be nice to stock up on a bunch of these kinds of things, anybody else have any ideas?
(22 July 2012, 21:17)HunterNurturer Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody have a survival-related list of battery powered stuff?
ie things that we can invest in now that alongside a solar powered aa battery charger or similar, we could use them pretty much indefinitely?

Obviously stuff like radios and torches, but maybe kettles? hotplates? battery powered tent heater?
Would be nice to stock up on a bunch of these kinds of things, anybody else have any ideas?

I will be making videos along these lines in time, as soon as I have built my workshop. I plan to show my use for my solar setup and things these last few years using has taught me.

Just remember low watts slow usage is key, what fire can do in 10 mins solar takes an hour sort of thing.
One thing to consider though is rechargable batteries have a "life" i.e. a maximum number of times you can recharge them.
An average life of 500 to 800 cycles (even up to 1000 for NiMh) is often quoted but if you are hitting your cells hard i.e. loads of power quickly and deeply discharging them everytime, it does impact on the longevity of the cell.

Incidently, batteries do self discharge. NiMh are the worst. Some more expensive chargers can deliver a maintenance charge (typically 1/300 of the batteries capacity) but IMHO it's best to just use them and recharge at the correct 10 hour rate.

How they are charged is another factor. Usually the best approach is a timed charge. So much current over so much time. The problem is not every charger cuts off at the end of a charging cycle so if you haven't set your alarm clock, you can again shorten it's life.

This is nothing to do with what type of cell i.e. Nicad, NiMh, Lithium or even lead acid.
It's just the chemicals within the battery only last so long and unlike lead acids, you can't replace the "gunk" easily.

To give you an example. I've just changed the batteries in a wind up / solar powered radio.
THey were just 5 years old, light usage, stored in a bright room.
When I changed them (soldered in nicads) they showed signs of gassing (white fur) which is indicitive of too much charge for too long or too fast. I also had to replace the connection wires as the positive lead had turned black. This is a sign of corrosive gasses venting out due to overcharging.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts for you.

A good charger is as important as the batteries it charges, I invested in a MAHA this will be in the videos.
(22 July 2012, 21:17)HunterNurturer Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody have a survival-related list of battery powered stuff?

Hi im looking for much the same thing any update on battery powerd devices AA battery powered items are what im concentrating on.
Lets start a list

Radio recievers
2 way radios
Flashlights
Clocks
Weather Stations
Some mini water pumps
Some mini air mattress inflators
Laptop and Notebook PCs
Cordless power tools ( drill, saw, etc)
Cameras and Camcorders
Some optical systems ( scopes) for rifles and bows
12v tv
12v fridge
12v freezers
12v C.B.
12v tools
12v air compressor
12v coffee making
12v kettle
12v hair dryer
12v hoover
12v fan
12v impact wrench
12v winch
12v heater
12v baby bottle warmer
12v portable stove
12v slow cooker
12v popcorn maker
12v cooker hood
12v shaver
12v hair straightners
12v toaster
12v bore hole pumps
(2 August 2012, 11:13)uks Wrote: [ -> ]12v tv
12v fridge
12v freezers
12v C.B.
12v tools
12v air compressor
12v coffee making
12v kettle
12v hair dryer
12v hoover
12v fan
12v impact wrench
12v winch
12v heater
12v baby bottle warmer
12v portable stove
12v slow cooker
12v popcorn maker
12v cooker hood
12v shaver
12v hair straightners
12v toaster
12v bore hole pumps
12v welder

great all i can think to add to that is heated socks and gloves and a battery tester
12v fridge
12v freezers
12v C.B.
12v tools
12v air compressor
12v coffee making
12v kettle
12v hair dryer
12v hoover
12v fan
12v impact wrench
12v winch
12v heater
12v baby bottle warmer
12v portable stove
12v slow cooker
12v popcorn maker
12v cooker hood
12v shaver
12v hair straightners
12v toaster
12v bore hole pumps
12v fridge
12v freezers
12v C.B.
12v tools
12v air compressor
12v coffee making
12v kettle
12v hair dryer
12v hoover
12v fan
12v impact wrench
12v winch
12v heater
12v baby bottle warmer
12v portable stove
12v slow cooker
12v popcorn maker
12v cooker hood
12v shaver
12v hair straightners
12v toaster
12v bore hole pumps
12v welder

12v washing machine
When this list is done we should do a list of UNPOWERED kit like stainless kettles, washboards, poss sticks,pressure cookers etc and preferably the web addresses of where we can get em?
This is a place I used in the past

http://www.the12voltshop.co.uk/Shop/
Batteries also age even if they're not used (and maintained). Lithium tend to loose about 20% of their capacity every year whether they're used or not. Thats why a laptop battery is pretty close to useless after 5 years.

As far as some of the "12V" items mentioned you're going to need a large solar / wind setup to provide the power for some of those things.

As far as heating goes (coffee making, hair drying etc) I'll be using fire for that, not my precious limited battery power.

There are two ways to size a system.
1] Start with the money you are willing to spend and see how big a system you can get for it.

2] Start by working out what you *need* to power and working out how expensive a system you need to do it.
Pages: 1 2