Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Neo-Survivalism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Came across this term whilst browsing.
A little website called:
http://weirdgood.com/1386/neo-survivalism/

When I saw it I thought that it would be a demonising attack on survivalism. After reading the article though I'm not so sure what it was trying to say. Using terms like xenophobia and fear-mongering when talking about what we do could be alarming to sheeple yet on the whole it doesn't attack prepping at all. In short, nothing to worry me.

What I was surprised about was to find term widely used.
There is even a US site called http://neosurvivalist.net

The problem on my mind is the possible misuse of the phrase "neo-survivalism" by the media. They just love catchy phrases.

If the media did one of their totally unbiased, in depth reports featuring some the more radical preppers in the UK and it could backfire on us all.

After all one of the economist sites idea of a good photograph depicting prepping was an idiot in a floppy hat pointing a shotgun straight at the camera.

i dont think on the whole it is demonising survivalism but god knows what the mainstream media would make of it, they dont let the facts get in the way of a good story!Big Grin
well i know theres going to be a serious program about prepping in the us! i got an email newsletter from one of the survival sites i like

http://survivalcache.com/

(23 July 2012, 12:59)survivalcache Wrote: [ -> ]Dear Survivalists,

It has been close to two years since we took over SurvivalCache and it has been a labor of love from day one. From our first day, we have tried to stick to what has made SurvivalCache great, no politics, no religion, no scare tactics...just straight survival gear reviews and survival ideas. Our focus on survival gear reviews led the SurvivalCache team to launch Forge Survival Supply last April to focus on American made survival gear. Some manufacturers laughed at us when we told them that we were not interested in carrying their products because they were made exclusively overseas. Although we are not 100% Made in America, whenever possible we carry the American made brand and are proud of it. Forge Survival Supply has grown from a small operation out of my basement, to a small operation out of my garage, to a small operation in a warehouse in Colorado.

We have shipped products to all 50 states and 27 different countries. It has been fun and demanding at the same time. With this said, we recently have been given the opportunity to be the focus of a TV show on a major network. We will not be portraying those who have an interest in preparedness as "Idiots" or "Extremist" but consulting with hard working everyday families, businesses and individuals who acknowledge and want to take steps to care for themselves, their friends and families. It is an honor to have been approached and have the opportunity.

Zig Zag Productions and a major cable network are looking for people who are interested in prepping, survival gear, or survival skills - to appear in an upcoming series featuring the day-to-day work of the Forge Survival Supply & SurvivalCache.com staff.

Whether you're a novice or an expert, live in the city, the suburbs or the country - we want to speak to you. We're shooting the series in Colorado, New York, and eastern Iowa in August. Please email us at info@zigzagusa.tv and we'll get back to you right away.

Thanks,
Joel
joel@survivalcache.com

its a really good site too Smile
It's too easy to take a program anyway you want.

I'm betting that it'll be more biased about weapons, paramilitary training, views on government oppression, and the forthcoming financial crash.

The US may even be reminded about Peter Keller.
He was the survivalist who topped himself in his fortified BOL after allegedly murdering his wife and teenage daughter. (April 2012).

They could find a survivalist to say that the US Government warned that "Survivalists are a Terrorist Threat".
(A quote used on a few survivalist and militia sites).

So now the average thick American will see the standard survivalist as a gun toting nutter with militia training and terrorist tendancies.

I can almost hear the raft of new legislation being planned.