Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Your cache plans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Sorry if this is wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it as it could fit in food storage, threats and risks etc.)

One thing I don't quite understand about the logistics of caching: once the SHTF, you bug out and dig up your caches, what do you do with them? Most people don't seem to
Do you put each cache close to a potential BOL?
Do you only store enough that you can just resupply and keep moving?

The problem I'm thinking about is carrying a 20kg storage box through the woods. Anybody who's done any lifting/shifting will know it's not the weight that's the issue, but the shape of the box. If you can fit the extra 20kg in your bag it's happy days, but I wouldn't want to have to carry a large container very far, especially one filled with tinned food or something.

I'm a bug-in guy by preference, but I was doing a little bugout planning last night and this issue came up, because ideally I would like a cache very close to my home.

I think my solution will be to have a backpack in each cache, that's capable of carrying at least half the cache. Then I can cover up the cache again, attach the backpack to my rucksack and go on my merry way.

It's just something I haven't seen anyone talk about, and it also crossed my mind watching one of the doomsday preppers episodes. It showed him practising a bugout and hitting one of his caches on the way. Him and his family stopped to eat and drink, but they were left with this big plastic container still full of stuff, and it never addressed the issue. It just cut to them carrying on walking with no indication of whether they shared the stuff out to carry in the rucksacks or buried it again or...?
Obviously if you can carry it in your rucksack that's fine, but most people's BOB tends to be pretty full without it having to carry the caches they pick up too Big Grin
Would be interested to hear your opinions/plans
That is the question. Caches are simply placing things in advance. If you have a BOL you want to go to. You store a cache with a small amount of food by your departure point, Where you estimate that will run out you put another cache with more, repeat until you get to your BOL when you may have cached everything else.

Caches can be hidden or in locations you have secured such as someones house. It is not recommended that you leave them out for anyone to get. Most of us look at burying them to keep them safe but the million pound question is where?

Caches are simply stores you have put aside for a purpose. Be careful what you put in them and where you store then.
Caching is the art of pre placing SOME extra valuable items of kit like grub, medicine, fuel, ammo, maps, tools etc in preselected and prepared locations WELL in advance of TSHTF.

Most folks use simple length of plastic waste water pipe 6 or 8 inches long with sealed on end caps, or waterproof ammo containers etc to ensure they dont have all their eggs (or ammo) in one place.

Think I still have an article on caching and stockpiling, I'll post it below.

CACHING AND STOCKPILING ISSUES
STOCKPILING SUGGESTIONS

There are many lists available on the web and in books about what to stockpile or cache, this article is simply a guide of useful things to consider having around "just in case"
Some items you may wish to obtain can be useful on a day to day basis as well as being invaluable during a crisis for your own use or to barter with.

Tea / coffee / whiteners
Sugar / salt
Flour / grain / pasta
Soap / bleach / detergents
Tooth paste / deodorant
Zip lock bags / bin bags
Candles / paraffin
Coal /charcoal / wood

All of the above are everyday consumables that will quickly become in very short supply during a crisis and pound for pound the likes of salt, paraffin, coffee, and candles will become more valuable than gold.

Writers of survival planning often suggest that you should keep a supply of pure gold and silver coins for use as barter currency, perhaps they are correct but in my mind if you cannot eat it or burn it or preserve food with it I don't think it will be of much use to you. People will sell their souls for the supplies I have listed when they are in short supply and you cannot really have to much in store because its something that you use continuously in your everyday lives.

OTHER USEFUL ITEMS
Flashlights
Batteries
Nylon cord
Rope
Shovels
Picks
Pry bars
Hand operated tools
Paraffin and candle lanterns
Boots, insoles and spare laces
Ordnance Survey maps 1:50,000
Compasses
Ducting tape / insulating tape
Multi tools Gerber / Leatherman etc
Compact field glasses
Short wave radio or scanner
Shuttering / boarding up timber & nails/screws
Spare knives
Hiking clothing /Gore-Tex type
Rucksack
Medical kit
Weapons
Tents / bivouac bags
Blankets
Camp cooker / barbeque ( multi-fuel)
Water containers
Extra personal sanitation kit / spare prescription glasses

SIMPLE METHOD OF CACHING

One of the best and easiest methods of hiding your emergency equipment is to cache it in some safe location away from your home or retreat. Its always prudent not to put all your eggs in one basket.

The commonest method of caching is to bury or hide it at a place that
A, you can easily find again
B, it cannot be easily found or accidentally uncovered by someone else
C, it is in a position where it can be retrieved during a crisis without
Exposing you to danger
D, It is not likely to become exposed due to erosion or land slip or
Agricultural activity
E, it is not likely to become covered over by development or flood water

There are many locations for you to choose from, some will suit you some will not, it’s up to your own personal choice and the environment you live in. I hid my caches by burying them next to manhole covers, inspection pipe covers in rural locations along the various bug out routes I have chosen.

One of the best types of caching container I have used is the one made from plastic drainage piping, I buy a 4 metre length of 8 or 10 inch diameter heavy duty waste water piping and 8 blanking end caps, I chop up the pipe into 1 meter lengths and use either pipe welding solvent or external grade silicone sealant to seal an end cap onto one end of the pipe, I then fill the pipe with whatever I choose (maps/ rations/medical kit/ tools/ fuels/etc)
Then I add some moisture absorbent crystal sachets to the contents and seal the top on.

One point of note, you don't always need to bury the tube in a vertical position if the area is reasonably undisturbed and is not likely to attract the attention of animals you can bury it about 18 inches down, put a few rocks on it to hold it in place then back fill the hole, remember to put back the turf or whatever was on the surface so it blends in with its surroundings.

A FEW MORE USEFUL ITEMS

MISCELLANEOUS
• Batteries AA/C/D
• ___ Batteries CR123A
• ___ Candles
• Gas Bottles 7KG
• ___ Parachute cord
• ___ Cigarette lighters
• ___ Porta-Loo Chemicals
• ___ Duct Tape
• ___ Cable ties
• ___ Chemical Light Sticks