Survival UK Forums

Full Version: survival courses!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so im looking at doing some hands on survival courses because i think it would be beneficial for several reasons

1. it'll get me out this county

2. i'll be learning from experts, or at least people who do this stuff for a living xD

3. there are some things that i couldnt do on my own like doing a high stress survival training course, e.g. jumping out of a plane, float down to earth, then learning to cope with it and get on and make fire and shelter

and a few others.

so has anyone tried any of these types of courses? and would you recommend any to me?
Best survival course?
Join the army.
(1 August 2012, 13:34)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Best survival course?
Join the army.

you know what, ive always been 100% against the idea of joining the army, now dont get me wrong i respect the army immensely, i just mean i would never of joined it myself....but i must admit as of late ive been considering it Tongue ive just always been more of an intellectual kind of person so im not sure i'd even suit being in the army Tongue more a sit in a lab doing experiments kind of guy Tongue....but i spose i am trying to change that xD
Join the Army...get shat on by the politicians!! i have the greatest respect for service personnel but not for the govt that sends them to foreign countries to die.(you notice no serving MP ever lets their kids join the services...only the Royal family does that!)
(1 August 2012, 14:14)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Join the Army...get shat on by the politicians!! i have the greatest respect for service personnel but not for the govt that sends them to foreign countries to die.(you notice no serving MP ever lets their kids join the services...only the Royal family does that!)

yeah thats one reason i never even considered it beforehand, i dont really want to get sent off to a country i dont think we have a right to be in and to possible die for a cause thats fundamentally flawed Tongue

anyway i just wanna know what you guys think about courses like this

http://www.truewayssurvival.com/school/u...ourse.html

and finally the one i'd look forward to most, despite a huge fear of heights (which ive been pushing myself to get over, which surprisingly works!)

http://www.truewayssurvival.com/school/high-stress.html

all these courses would set me back a fair amount, but they would teach me some valuable skills, do you guys think the financial side of things would offset the skills gained, or would i be better off just practising in my own time and my own equipment?
I think you should save your money for prepping. Just go wild. You will learn as much from doing. A small pack with extra clothing and a knowledge of some plants that are edible, a water purifier. Some survival food for emergency. Start with one day and one night in the wilderness. Build a shelter to begin with and learn to forage. Keep doing this and after three goes, increase an extra day and night, and so on. You could even take a mate with you. Try it. Food: Dandelion. Chickweed, Burdock, Nettle, etc., etc.. You should learn much more by this method than by Survival Courses. Jump in at the deep-end. Kenneth Eames.
(1 August 2012, 14:14)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Join the Army...get shat on by the politicians!! i have the greatest respect for service personnel but not for the govt that sends them to foreign countries to die.(you notice no serving MP ever lets their kids join the services...only the Royal family does that!)

No argument from me BP

Hrusai ,
3-5 day courses can't train you for life, only constant development will do that. You could keep going though. More courses, more money.
Its a business like any other. You pay, they gain, you . . . . .pay.

That's why I said join the army. You'll get trained and paid too.
Poor pay and working conditions aside, it'll be good training.
Then you'll probably be sh>t on by our government and sent to an exotic land to meet exotic people and told to kill some of them.
There again they could maim or kill you.
No plan is ever perfect.
<o>

it is expensive but if you have no experiance of the out doors then they are good done mine with ray mears there are more people than the one you have mentioned bushcraft expeditions excellent bloke was one of ray mears instructors then he set up on his own
but if you dont practice what you learn you will forget things trust me lol

b/d
OK if you are going to the wilds and may get stuck but for us most of it isn't applicable and there is better things to spend your money on unless of course it is going to be something you want to do anyway.

From little acorns.....

Large Oaks grow.
Pages: 1 2