Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What would you chose and why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm looking at alternative homes, Large tent, Yurt, large shed, wigwam, I can't think of anything else, can you? What would you live in for 6 months and why? Can't be a brick house or caravan.
(3 September 2012, 01:43)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking at alternative homes, Large tent, Yurt, large shed, wigwam, I can't think of anything else, can you? What would you live in for 6 months and why? Can't be a brick house or caravan.

Ummmm ... not sure what the scenario is in order to answer your question? Is this for PSHTF or for now? Camper van or is that the same as a caravan for you? I'd probably use a tent or a shed! But what about one of these!!!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/604242...table.html
Or this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/243894...image.html
a Yurt they are design to keep you alive in extreme cold
Those inflatables are cool but reckon they could deflate easily, I'm looking at a makeshift home anti SHTF until I can build my own but want to be able to use it for guests staying also after I have built my own. I don't want to tow a caravan abroad. The home needs to be warm innthe winter, yet cool in the summer.
yurt or teepee for me!!Big Grin
@PB...why?
(3 September 2012, 01:43)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking at alternative homes, Large tent, Yurt, large shed, wigwam, I can't think of anything else, can you? What would you live in for 6 months and why? Can't be a brick house or caravan.

Well wiff me living oop north where its wet, windy and cold or all at once, I need for practicality more than one room, cos everything would end up wet or damp and mouldy. (I inspected a Teepee that had been up for 6 months and it was rancid). So for me its the Timber Shed, cheap, flexible, affordable, expandable, etc

Paving stone base, old railway sleepers as ground frame, Tongue and groove walls of 25 mm thickness, Inside the T & G the walls and floor are lined with 50 /25 mm relective foil covered foam panels. If feeling lavish cover that with a layer of thinsulate. Similar insulation on the roof. Double tar cloth on roof over the top of a bitumin paint job. Roof water running to barrels or soal away. Velux window or two in roof to allow for extra ventilation and light .

Inside area divided into LR / K area, Seperate wet room/ loo, Master BR / storage at back. Balcony second bedroom sleeping area for kids / guests accessed by ladder or short step stairs.

We built a 12 by 12 shed to similar spec as a play house when we live in Teesside I reckon you could build for very nicely for £10K or less if your good at salavaging.
Hey theres one thing i forget its those post earthquake disaster relief home, They are basically a chemically treated very large inflatable dome, You blow it up then wet the sides or spray it with concrete and it sets rock hard.
(3 September 2012, 09:09)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]@PB...why?

because they were used by "first nations"(as Ray Mears calls them) for centuries and have stood the test of time, they are made of natural materials which are readily available.
(3 September 2012, 09:15)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

because they were used by "first nations"(as Ray Mears calls them) for centuries and have stood the test of time, they are made of natural materials which are readily available.

Don't understand if this is to be a permanent structure or moveable.

For a permanent structure its worthwhile considering building a solid base like NR suggests, but using Straw bale construction for the walls. There's loads of info on the net. This is ultra thermally efficient and if properly rendered, its quite fire-proof as well.
(3 September 2012, 09:48)Lightspeed Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 September 2012, 09:15)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't understand if this is to be a permanent structure or moveable.

For a permanent structure its worthwhile considering building a solid base like NR suggests, but using Straw bale construction for the walls. There's loads of info on the net. This is ultra thermally efficient and if properly rendered, its quite fire-proof as well.

Lime rendered cos it breaths and flexes with the walls, Some folks built wood cabins and use straw bail as a simple wind break built about 12 inches away from the shed walls, others pile the winters firewood up along the side wall they gets the worst of the winter winds.
Must admit with the current economic situation ( us being bled dry by the tax man to keep the welfare scroungers in luxury) we will probably have to sell our family home and move into a winterised static caravan either in Durham or Northumberland, our mortgage is £800 a month and its killing us now. If we sold us we could be a new static for less than £30K
Pages: 1 2 3