Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How many and what type of arrow / bolt are you stocking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
May I enquire as to how many arrows you chaps and chappesses are collecting for your kits and what type youve choosen, IE Glass fibre/ Carbon/Alloy/ wood and what of point you are using?
Arrows or bolts I buy will probably be either alloy or carbon, depending on which I like better after trying them. I'm more interested in learning how to make arrows, with natural cordage, pine glue, hazel sticks, feathers and a tea spoon!
wooden 30inches long, as cheap as i can get them..joblots if possible, mostly standard points but some broadheads.
I would like lessons in person on how to assemble modern arrows from componants, Theres enough arrow making componants around to last me ten lifetimes.
I'll be buying a few of each type, around 100+, over time with any kit I need to build some more. I'm less bothered about the type because although I prefer alloy I know i'll lose some over time and this is one area where quality and quantity make interesting discussions.
My very limited research so far leans towards Carbon arrows if I was rich like SD & Nemesis, My crossbow experience and old archery practise leans me towards alloy like SD says, but my budget it making me look at the glassfibre composite arrows but replace their useless soft alloy target tips with steel or brass slip on field tips. Thats providing I can find suitable tips to fit these Armex/ SMK/ Generic arrow shafts ( I dont have a micrometer so I'm not sure of their actual diameter, but with a rule they appear to be 1/4 inch or 6.5 mm wide, anyone got an arrow and 0-1inch mike they can put to use? )
I always have twenty four Port Orford Ceder arrows made up and in a stand. I try to keep a dozen raw shafts and components aside to replace broken or lost ones. I use 150grain bodkins which I drill through the neck and pin it to the shaft. I shoot a 60lb Mongol bow, and have a few other recurves and some Longbows, but to be honest I only use the Mongol.
I have been experimenting with flint arrowheads lately and found the results quite surprising.
I've actually gone and followed Nemesis's route and started buying the alloy Easton Black Stalkers at about £34 for 12, they are rated up to 40 lb draw which covers my bows so far.
split a young birch 4 ways,insert a scalp le blade facing outwards in each splice. glue and bind and you have the sharpest lightest arrow head. no barb but you wouldnt need one if the shot was right.
great idea for improvised arrow headsBig Grin something else you can use that is widespread in our society is Plastic!! rigid plastic sheeting etc can be cut easily and can be made very sharp. try it out you will be amazed
Pages: 1 2 3