Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Gill nets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

Is it legal to use gill nets for fishing in the UK

I watched a video the other day with a guy setting gill nets at low water and then leaving them for a tide

I am getting conflicting views from different people.

Gill nets are a good survival fishing tactic butlike all of these things they require practice now so we know haw to use them then

pj
Not sure if there legal. Met a guy who was working on berwick pier and they had problems with poachers using nets to catch salmon. So im guessing there ilegal, but im not a fishing expert.
what about one of these?"Crayfish lobster folding shrimp mini mesh fishing net" on Amazon £4.64 free delivery??
(29 September 2012, 17:18)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]what about one of these?"Crayfish lobster folding shrimp mini mesh fishing net" on Amazon £4.64 free delivery??

I have got one of those but I am looking for something that is going to catch a lot of fish with minimal effort

I don't want to be out there practicing with the gill net and fall foul of the law
gill nets are illegal in in the uk You can get a £2500 fine for using one
Thanks Tigs

I thought they were illegal in freash water but I did not know they were illegal in the sea.
they are not illegal if used from a boat at the moment but they can not be left which defeats what they are used for !

you would be better off using a Seine net Seine fishing

personally i would use traps
I've bought a few of each of these. Like guns they are illegal now but we are after all preparing for a futire where laws do not exist.

You will quickly learn and having the right tools helps a lot.
Every year the idiot scientists come up with the same story that we as a nation aren't eating enough fish.
So imagine my surprise (not really) when I read ANOTHER group of experts (this time money weasels) wanting the UK to mothball it's fishing fleets for 10 years.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3460...h-shortage-

If this was to happen, your gill nets will be raking in loads of money as what ever you catch will be highly sell-able.

they are NOT ILLEGAL fresh water YES they are
i gill net beaches BUT check out your local bylaws

bd
Pages: 1 2